Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if you all had heard that Denise McCluggage passed away last night. Very sad day today for motorsports history.

Denise McCluggage: 1927-2015 | Autoweek

Her speech at the 2013 national convention was one of the best I have ever heard!

She will be missed.
:crying2:

·
Registered
576 Posts
I hate to hear that. I loved her columns and her book Brooks too Broad for Leaping is a must read for all car guys and gals. RIP Denise McCluggage.

·
Registered
634 Posts
.... Her speech at the 2013 national convention was one of the best I have ever heard!

She will be missed.
:crying2:
Yes, a real loss.

I also heard her wonderful speech at the 2013 convention and wonder whether anyone transcribed it? If so, please advise.

Denise was interviewed by Todd McCarthy for his book Fast Women: The Legendary Ladies of Racing, which is well worth reading for an engaging portrait of women racers in the early '50s.

·
Registered
9,406 Posts
Unfortunately I never had a chance to meet her, but I have a framed poster she and Phil Hill and Juan-Manuel Fangio signed during the 1985 Historic Races in Monterey, when Alfa Romeo was the featured marque. Before buying that poster about 15 years ago, I did not know who she was -- and, in fact, it was that signature that prompted me to discover some of her very impressive racing and reporting history.

What a loss for all gear heads -- my condolences and sympathies for all her friends and family!

·
Super Moderator
11,548 Posts
I heard this from Paul Spruell very shortly after she passed. Her journalistic representation of the world of motor sports has been respecred for many years, as well as her racing career. I am saddened by her passing as are all of us who knew her, or read anything she wrote, on any subject.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts