Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the rubber mounts and installed a support strut in an effort to get the Berlina running better.... but it's never as easy as it seems.

It (this engine and carb set-up) has always popped/spit back through the carbs. It's still doing it. I have the mixture screws out 5-7 turns at which point they seem to be so loose that I think they are sucking air past the threads. So loose in fact that I thought there were no springs under there. I looked and there are indeed springs.

The other symptom is that the car wants to bog really bad on take-off. If I ease on the throttle it will do okay (not great) and it really comes on at 1500-2000 rpm. I thought this could be jetting (and may be) but the car was doing better before replacing carb mounts and setting dynamic timing (M mark at 5k rpm).

I had to turn the idle screw in 2 turns to be able to start the car with mixture screws turned out 4-1/2 turns and linkage disconnected.

Can I pull the springs from under the mixture screws and stretch them out to increase pressure on the mixture screws? Or am I missing something? Gary Valant, Technical Editor, Alfa Owner in How to Fine Tune Webers/Dellortos suggests grease on the mixture screws to keep air and water out. What kind of grease should I use on the screws?

I know the venturies are 32, carbs are synchronized, new points and condenser, good timing. I'll look at idle and main jets during lunch.

Thanks for any input,

Niels

'69 Berlina
'74 Spider
'90 Volvo 240
'92 Volvo 945 T (the "new" car)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, the numbers:
32 chokes
7772.10 emulsion tube
145 main
58 idle
40 pump jet

I stretched the mixture screw springs and have the mixture out about 6-3/4 turns. idle is at 1000k with idle screw turned in 2 turns. 1/2 turn out on idle screw drops idle to about 700 rpm.

Thoughts...anyone?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good times. Lost a screw on my way home.

Guess I'll see if here's a list of stuff to get.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts