Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Dear Sirs, I have a 1980 alfa romeo guilietta 1.6, the same engine as fitted in alfetta's. Car has been garaged, and I have not started engine for several months. Normally I just put battery in place, open air cleaner, put new fuel in tank, and spray the side draught / throat carburetor inlets with WD40 to help engine start quicker until petrol is delivered to carburetor. I pull choke control and engine fires after a few turns / spins on the starter.
Today I cannot succeed to start the engine. Spark is ok. But the plugs get wet every time. The problem is that fuel is squirting out of carburetor. It seems to be under pressure, as when starter is stopped, you can hear fuel and see it drip out into air cleaner tray.

What's the cause for fuel being expelled from carburetor?
Is this due to float chamber being stuck and carburetor is flooding.
What could be done to rectify, without dismantling carburetor.

Thank you.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Stuck or sunk float, stuck float needle.

Most common solution without dismantling is carefull use of a "Harley Tool" (Hammer).
A few Gentle raps may loosen what is stuck.

You do not state if you have Weber or Dellorto.
In either case taking the top cover off to check the floats or needle valve is pretty simple, and probably better than using a Harley Tool.

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
I've seen a plugged up muffler cause this before. However this tends to develop slowly over time with usage. In this case if it started all of a sudden and you left gasoline in it for several months it is more likely stuck floats or needle valves as Richard said above.

·
Premium Member
14,023 Posts
If it is happening on one carb then I agree with the stuck/sunk float thoery. If it both carbs then I would check the fuel pressure.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts