Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dell’orto operation question

My Veloce Spider has dual (aftermarket) DHLA 40 carbs. In the ****pit there is a hand thottle. No choke or anything else.

I have been told that using the hand throttle is effectively the same as using the pedal, but I have trouble believing that because the engine makes a distinctive breathy chuntering sound only when the hand throttle is used. Further, the engine won’t run smoothly when cold if the hand throttle is closed, regardless of what I do with the pedal. And applying the hand throttle on a warm engine causes rough running.

So it doesn’t seem like just an alternative way of opening the throttle.

Can someone properly explain the operation of this carb to me? What exactly does the hand throttle do?

·
Registered
68 Posts
If it is the hand throttle it will be attached to the pedal mechanism on the other side of the firewall. It will act the same as pushing the pedal a little.

If it operates the small levers on top of the Dellorto's it's activating the mixture enrichment facility (some call it a choke, because other types of carburettors enrich the mixture by choking the air intake). Activating it sounds as what you're experiencing.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts