Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello. now that she's rebuilt I'm gonna have her painted. wondering if anyone here has removed the rubber spoiler on the trunk hood - never did like the rubber any way. might look ok ....perhaps even something like the nice older 60's design. barbie is a 1984 model. thanks.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
The rubber spoiler is glued on and is not easy to remove. Same is true of the two fender pieces. Once off, the car would require significant body work. An easier solution is flexible bumper paint, but the finish will not look like finished body panels.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've easily removed the rubber spoiler - a couple of rusted bolts. The Centerline part is ridiculously expensive ....$600?!?!. Options are: repair the spoiler or minor bodywork. I would be surprised if someone hadn't already crossed this bridge. Anyhow, my son found this pic and it appears to be the an 80's Spider who's owner has removed the spoiler. Not clear on what or how I'm exactly looking at so perhaps I'm wrong.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,120 Posts
Barbie Car...

that IS the Zender spoiler! It is a very neat adaption...but, don't forget you have to paint the zender too, as it only comes in black.

removing the trunk rubber is only half the problem.......what about the 2 side bits? that is where the problem seems to be (fender metal different etc)

FYI: they cost about half that here in europe (ok, add some dollars for freight).........but although advertised as Zender, they must ALL be aftermarket zender-esque copies, as Zender closed many years ago!

People over here say they are not as good a fit, as the originals were....but good looking they are...

·
Premium Member
1,578 Posts
zender spoiler

Here is a picture of the Zender unit. Note that it is just slightly less pronounced that the original unit. I imagine that it comes "primered" and must be topcoated by the purchaser. This is probably most often done in the same color of paint as the rest of the car, like it appears in this photo/ad.

Zender Spoiler Alfa Spider Alfa Romeo Ersatteile von Frank Hanel GmbH

Also, the car pictured in the above link has had (a) the bumper, (b) part of the tail lights under the side markers, and (c) the trim pieces that sit under the licence plate to match the rest of the car (which were originally black).

P.S. - Aside from the liquid rubber that is left behind (and difficult to remove) when the stock spoiler pieces are taken off, there are mounting holes in the body panels that would need to be filled and repainted if you just wanted to leave the spoiler off completely.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks Spiderserie4, Ran a search for zender and found that classicalfadotcom has them for us$337 plus shipping from uk. Anyone know of a usa source?? Thanks Norseman50.

Correction they sell it for $404US plus shipping from uk.

·
Registered
8,120 Posts
norsemans link shows the original Zender kit for the spider (Zender alloy wheels, Zender rear 3 piece spoiler, Zender rear bumper.......sometimes side skirts and a very different front Zender bumper too, with quite a large alfa heart!)...........sort of 'close' to the final S4 spiders penned by pininfarina, if you ask me:)

like here:

Attachments

·
Registered
399 Posts
I've easily removed the rubber spoiler - a couple of rusted bolts. The Centerline part is ridiculously expensive ....$600?!?!. Options are: repair the spoiler or minor bodywork. I would be surprised if someone hadn't already crossed this bridge. Anyhow, my son found this pic and it appears to be the an 80's Spider who's owner has removed the spoiler. Not clear on what or how I'm exactly looking at so perhaps I'm wrong.
That is one sweet looking derrière!

·
Registered
505 Posts
A friend of mine in Malta has a Zender Spider just like the one in the pic. I guess I shouldn't be saying this but it is actually nicer than the S4:blushing:

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Check the thread Removal of Rear Spoiler for a picture of the "minor" repair.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts