Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
The original plan to re-introduce the Alfa Romeo brand to the U.S. also included plans for a mid-size SUV to be built at Chrysler's Toledo plant, but that vehicle has reportedly been canceled altogether.
Yay! There is SOME hope for the marque's US invasion plan! :p

ALFA - Always Late For America! or Again Late...

·
Registered
58 Posts
It appears that the alfa compact cuv won't be further delayed since it shares components with the new compact jeep at mirafiori works and jeep won't want any disruptions. the jeep is critical to their plans. They are using one FG and two chrysler multi-air engines. Due date is late 2013 with production beginning early 2013. TCT is an option and awd has been hinted at because it will fit both cars. Since they use the same chassis, if alfa cuv were to be futher delayed the jeep would too. They would use a common poroduction line. Keep the faith.

·
Registered
432 Posts
The mythical Alfa cuv has less going for it than the loch ness monster. I've seen a fuzzy pic of the loc ness monster. I haven't seen any pic of an Alfa cuv based on a jeep platform. And 2013 will be here in four months.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
I doubt we'll ever see Alfa back in the US. My guess is the marque will go away altogether in today's climate of consolidation.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Alfa is NOT going away any time soon. The alfa cuv image is by Autoroute and is found in the thread "alfa is going to return with chrysler" on page 84. In case it was missed, it can be described as a kamal nose on revised giulietta bodywork using exposed rear door handles, and a modified kamal rear taillight panel. Kamal was the concept for the cuv. The cuv is quite a clean design. BTW the compact jeep is using the fiat/alfa chassis (C-US-wide). Launch date is in late 2013. It is worth waiting for so start saving your money. A QV can be made from it with the 2.4 liter multi-air chrysler, TCT gearbox, and a little Mopar chip with a 401 stainless exhaust replacement using Magnaflow components for a ferrari/maserati tone. :D :cool:

·
Premium Member
9,873 Posts
Wish I had a camera. I was up in Flagstaff this weekend. They test lots of vehicles up there due to it being at 7000 ft+, they tend to test up the San Fransisco peaks which gets up to about 10K ft....anyways by point is I saw 10...YES 10 New Alfa Giuletta's (Matte black typical test vehicle looking)being tested up there. After that they all boarded a Truck and headed back to Michigan I am assuming (all had Mich. Manufacturer Plates)
Anyway, I had a good look at the whole car, under it and so forth. Great little car. Why are they testing 10 here in AZ? Not sure but it seems to me they are working on getting the brand back to the US. My assumption is they want to get it right this time too. I wish I had pics to share. Sorry! Could not get home and back to the truck before it headed out from the local truck stop.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The autoroute pic is a few frames farther down from the concept pic. The production site may change from Mirafiori to possibly Sterling Heights MI to reduce costs. This is to be decided toward the end of this month. The new compact jeep would follow suit as they will share components and systems. They would probably get Mopar 401 stainless exhaust instead of Magneti Marelli mild steel if made here. A QV could be made from the cuv with the indicated 2.4 liter muti-air chrysler, TCT gearbox, and maybe a Mopar chip. The slightly elevated ride height would suit us old folks. They may have access to chrysler paint colors instead of the narrower range at Mirafiori. I'm hoping that management makes the switch.

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
"Fiat’s ailing Alfa is getting paler around the nose by the day. Contacts in Frankfurt report that Alfa reduced its target for 2014 from 500k units to 400k units. A lot of things fell by the wayside: The mid-sized SUV due in 2014 has been scrapped. The compact SUV promised for 2012 is delayed until 2013. The Giulia won’t come in 2012, but in 2014. The launch of the new Spider has been moved from 2013 to 2014. "

Moody’s: Fiat Is Junk. Bad Junk

·
Registered
747 Posts
Why are they testing 10 here in AZ? Not sure but it seems to me they are working on getting the brand back to the US. My assumption is they want to get it right this time too. I wish I had pics to share. Sorry! Could not get home and back to the truck before it headed out from the local truck stop.
Unfortunately it doesn't necessarily mean that, FIAT tested the Bravo and Brava here in Seattle back in 1994. There were 6 or 7 of them based at Bellevue Alfa Romeo for a couple of weeks. AFAIK there were no plans ever bring the Bravo to the US...

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Renault will return to the USA before Alfa returns. Anybody seen a nice Alfa Renault Dauphine around for sale? My last one rusted out pretty bad. Some guys in Canada are redoing Dauphines with electric motors. If you bought one of these, that would be the closest to a new Alfa you are likely to get.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts