Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in the engine forum. not not much going on there. I am building a 12V 3.0 . Looking for a degree wheel kit that fits and works with the Alfa V6. Summit has them but they say fit most engines. Anyone have advice ?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
The summit kit is a good generic tool - you may have to make some modifications to mount it.

·
Richard Jemison
7,379 Posts
Wheel

Had n0t seen your post.
Sent you an email and saw your email to me.

I use an 16 inch diameter wheel, but I found a 10 inch wheel marked correctly:

Proform 66791 Degree Wheel 9in Find Top Dead Center or Check Camshaft Timing | eBay

You will need to find TDC for both the left bank and set that cam, then find TDC for the right bank and set that cam`s timing. They are 60 degrees apart angle wise. Use a stiff piece of wire as your TDC/degree pointer bent to match the TDC position.

The cams will be "timed" quite well on the marks on the cam cap as I move the intake and exhaust lobes on the core cams to achieve the correct LCs and LSAs on each cam based on application.

The core used for your cams were out of that "L" engine so no issues with cam or "cam cap" marking causing mis-timing.

Lobe center can be checked with lash set to any lash. However valve opening (off the seat) will require "0" lash. If you get the LC for the intake where it is supposed to be then the exhaust side is fixed (on the same cam) so it can`t be changed.

Typically you can use the "slop" in the cam sprockets to get a degree of two movement if necessary.
Remember one tooth belt movement at the crank sprocket is 1/2 a notch in the cam sprocket.

In a message dated 10/9/2014 9:33:46 A.M. Central Daylight Time, [email protected] writes:
HI RJ,
Still waiting for the cc kit to come. It was delivered without the flat plexi , so waiting for that to come. Question regarding degreeing the cams. I know to check piston to valve clearance. You recommend using zip ties fed thru the spark plug opening. How necessary is degreeing the cams ? What degree wheel do you use ? I asked on the bb, but nobody has replied. Makes me think nobody is degreeing their cams.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts