Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The starter motor on my Giulia Sprint GT has gone.

The auto electrician I took it to says the pinion clutch assembly needs to be replaced but he was unable to source one.

The starter motor is an 8 tooth model with 2 mounting holes. The Bosch part no. is 0001211004 which is no longer made.

I believe from reading some posts that there might be a 3 hole model available that would fit. Maybe I could swap out the drive end bracket from my current starter motor to use with it? A model number I have seen mentioned is 0001211016 but that isn't listed in the Bosche catalogue I looked at.

If there is a (3 hole) model that would work, maybe there would be a clutch pinion assembly replacement available for it?

I know it is possible to get reconditioned starter motors but they seem to be available on an exchange basis which I don't necessarily want to do (I think they might be 3 hole jobs).

I'd be interested in any suggestions on a suitable course of action.

Thanks

·
Registered
816 Posts
8 tooth drive?

I pretty sure that 8 tooth pinions are still available. Perhaps they don't have the same Bosch part. Bosch is in the habit of changing numbers around. We buy an 8 tooth drive to convert modern starters to use in older cars. I'll check the part. Do you have a photo of the worn out drive?
KG

·
Registered
816 Posts
That looks like the one that I get from Bosch. I'm home for a couple of days, so can't get the part number. What does your electrical guy say is wrong with it?
KG

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think the clutch mechanism is burnt out. It feels a bit rough to me but I can't really tell what's wrong. The initial problem was that the starter wouldn't disengage so I drove it a short distance to see if it would come good. Now it won't function at all but there doesn't seem to be any damage to the rest of the starter motor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts