Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So now that the Spica is just about sorted out I will need to consider the last known problem before I parked the car 10 years ago. The defroster was not working. The light for the switch goes on as with the indicator in the dash but no air. Anyone ever test/replace the blower motor in a 79 spider?:confused:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Try this...

find the heater vent down by the gas pedal; stick your finger in the vent and try to feel the squirrel cage; spin it with your finger a couple of times; then turn the switch on.

I believe the heater motor is pretty standard on the S2, S3 and S4 spiders and sometimes (almost always) a little corrosion will form on the motor shaft bushing and make it stick. Spinning it with your finger will free it up and might let it work.

I'm not trying to be insulting, but don't spin the thing with the switch on and your finger in the vent! The motor's not powerful enough to draw blood, but squatting in your driveway, parking lot, street, etc, with your finger stuck in the vent would make a great (not for you) you tube posting.

·
Premium Member
13,449 Posts
The previous post is a good start. If that does not fix it, then you will have to pull the heater box. It is not that bad a job on a '79. You take out the seats and the center console then disconnecting the hoses, wires, controls is done lying on your back with your head under the dash. Remove the heater valve before you wiggle out the heater box as it is easily broken.
Ask for more detailed ionstructions if you need them. I have done this several times.
Ed Prytherch
79 Spider Veloce
88 Milano Verde

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Stiff Fan

I removed the front seat and crawled underneath, tried to spin the fan. It turned but it was very stiff so it looks like I will be changing the fan motor. And detailed instructions would be appreciated before I get into this thing.:D

·
Premium Member
13,449 Posts
The heater unit hangs from the underside of the dash. Four small (maybe 7mm) nuts and large diameter washers hold it on. First you need to drain the coolant. The center console has to be removed. Then you can disconnect the operating cables from the heater valve and the damper. Disconnect the coolant hoses and then remove the heater valve. Disconnect the 3 wires for the fan motor, one is a ground. Disconnect the two vent tubes from either side of the heater. Unscrew the 4 little nuts that hold the heater unit to the dash. I think that a 1/4" socket set with extensions makes this easier. The nuts may be rusty and you may have to squirt them with PB Blaster or similar.
The heater can now be wiggled out on the passenger side.

When you take the heater unit apart to get at the motor, take a picture or make a sketch of the position of the damper arms and linkage before you remove them. It will be a big help on re-assembly. If the motor is locked, there is a possibility that it has burned up if it was switched on for any length of time. It should be obvious if it is. Otherwise, soak the motor shaft bushes with PB Blaster and spin it until it loosens up. I once removed the fan, put the motor in a vise and attached a drill motor to the shaft. That was about 6 years ago and the motor is still running strong in my Spider.

Ed Prytherch

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
You might consider just taking the dashboard off. It's really pretty simple and that will give you unfettered access to removing the entire heater airbox. Chances are there's a lot of gunk and dirt in there that can make the air blowing out of it smell funky. Also, for just a couple minutes more you can inspect the front valence drain tubes and replace them as needed. There's a couple of previous threads on removing the dash and refurbishing the heater box.

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/showthread.php?t=3922&highlight=dashboard+removal

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/showthread.php?t=3424&highlight=removal+dashboard

1 - 6 of 6 Posts