Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did the European market ‘71 have the Alfa Romeo Milano round badge above the GT1750 script on the boot lid? Some cars have it and not others. I suppose the definitive answer will come from someone in possession of a European sales brochure from 1971. Can anyone help put this one to bed? Thx
François

·
Registered
472 Posts
Hi François,

From long time ago, I thought that if the boot lid had an area stamped in the panel, than you should have the badge as it was there that the Milano badge was incorporated in the lid. The problem is that I forgot if all 1750 GTs, untill the end of the production, had that kind of boot lid.

So if you're shure to have the original boot lid on your car, you should check whether there is that area stamped in the panel. (see first picture)
In case that you did know all this, ...sorry, I only tried to help here.
The other pictures are from a June 1970 owners manual, showing a 1750 car that has the badge.
I hope other people will confirm all this or add extra information, if not, corrections are also appreciated.

Rgds,

Thierry

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Merci Thierry. I have seen those with a recessed stamp which makes absolute sense but I have also seen cars with the badge stuck on none recessed boot lids which look strange to me. My assumption is that these should be dismissed as not original. The fact that some 1750s have the recessed with badge and others just smooth without badge is coherent to me and raises the question which is correct boot lid for 1750s and year.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
pre 72= Milano
Post 72 No Milano

Information found in Fusi book and others.

1750 series 1 = no round bootlid badge
1750 series 2 = round badge in bootlid in recess= Milano up to end 1971
Thats what Australia had.
Remember,,people could and have changed bootlids from other 105 cars over the years.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. This makes sense to me. The Alfa Sud factory opened in 72 so the Milano badging became redundant as cars could come out of either factory. Without the recess the badge looks odd which ties into series 1 vs 2 Milano point above. That said, going back to the original question, I guess we’re concluding that series 2 cars (ie 71+) should have a recessed round badge or else the boot lid is not original. The round badge without recess is definitely not original. Or am I jumping the gun given the eccentric nature of AR? If not, the outstanding question is: Australia ain’t Europe so can a Euro brother/sister confirm?

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Post 2 shows a Euro S1 with a round badge. I have an S2 Euro with the round badge and owners manuals show a round badge for Euro S1 and S2.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Brad is your S2 badge recessed? Mine is a S2 without badge but there is no recess on the lid to accommodate the badge. Question: can I therefore conclude the lid is not original to the car?

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Not sure you can conclude anything based on a few answers. Mine is recessed, built July 4, 1970.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I suspect that there could have been a small number of things in the transition between S1 and S2 that led to a degree of inconsistency. Some trunk lids might have been carried over from existing stock. However, I have never seen an S1 with a Milano badge, that was original, recessed or not. My 2 S1's have had no badge and my one S2 had the recessed badge.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
That is odd, I have sales brochures and magazine articles from the period showing S1 Euro with round trunk badge. Are your S1s the early type with a crossover air cleaner?

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I just looked through a collection of period GTV magazine articles and saw images of round trunk badge on S1 RHD early and late version. S2 Euro RHD and LHD and S2 USA. Also them on 2000 USA, Euro RHD and LHD.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I am with Brad on this one. I would say they all had the badge. I have a euro S1 sales brochure, and the car pictured in it has the badge. I have had 3 1750s. 1 S2 and 2 S1. They all had the badge. The 1968 S1 had it recessed. The late S1 and the S2 without the recess. My understanding is that the recessed bootlid was replaced with the non recessed bootlid on later S1 cars. But they all had the badge.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I can't tell. The recess may be somewhat random as GTJrs had no badge and they may have used those lids occasionally on 1750s? Either with no badge or a badge on a flat trunk?

·
Registered
211 Posts
A bit of a conundrum. My current Feb, 69 production date RHD Australian-delivered car (a 105.45 - hence SA assembly I believe) has its original rear boot/trunk lid. No recess, no evidence of there ever being one and no badge. This may be a market aspect (Euro/US/Australia/SA). It may also be about the presence or absence of a 'recess' as some cars in some markets may have had the badge stuck on originally or even later by owners who liked the look. It is strange as there are many earlier threads on this issue and the old Alfa guys, restorers and collectors here in this market all seem to quickly say 'No badge on the on the series 1', as soon as I ask. Perhaps they are wrong and that there were badges applied to cars without the recess. The brochures that I have are all world-wide and generic and do appear to show a badge. Whether they 'all' had the badge is still not entirely clear to me at least.

·
Administrator
12,077 Posts
My 1971 S2 1750 had a badge and no recess. While my car was rusty, it was very unmodified (except for door interior trim) and complete.

I've always believed that 1750s always had the badge but the recess came later, so maybe part of the S2 to 2000 changes, and my car just missed out.
Pete

·
Registered
211 Posts
I recently found quite a bit more information on debatable points on the Series 1 and 2 cars after talking with some of our Alfa mechanics who have worked on these cars over the last 30+ years. Probably well known to some. There was a Series "1.5" transition in which cars from those times can come with a mix of parts (air cleaners, rear lenses, boot badges, coil mounting, front indicators on fender, steering hub wood/plastic, etc.) as Alfa tended to introduce new components as the old ones ran out or even side by side. Reportedly they even continued to build some old models after their 'replacements' were released, a practice that continued well into the 70's.

Also, models from one market could also differ significantly from what was notionally the same model for another market (US/Euro is assumed to be the only split) so it's often hard to state categorically that a car is 100% 'correct' due to its build date. Many Australian cars, and possibly some in other smaller markets, did not have the rear boot/trunk badge it seems. Thus no single 'factory standard' can be assumed in all cases and any variations seen could be 'as it came from the factory'.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts