Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had more or less decided to swap my Triumph Spitfire for a beat up Alfa Spider, but came across this cute Alfa GT 1300 Junior. I though I'd better make use of the collective wisdom of this list to make my decision, as I am no expert in these cars.

At first it looks really nice, all complete and no apparent rust, but.... The owner supposedly took care of all the rust i 1998 and made a complete repaint, but either didnt do it right, or has left the car out in the rain since. There is no rust in the boot, engine bay of floor pans, but rust bubbles are visible at the wheelarches, boot lid, doors, door openings, etc. No visible rust, but you know its there. Now the question, is; how bad can I expect this to be?

Interior trim is nice, apart from the front seat which needs retrimming. The seat frame is also broken inside, so the entire seat needs to be taken apart and welded.

The engine and bay looks scruffy, but the engine runs really well. The owner has installed a 1750 unit - is this a sin in Alfa purists eyes? The original 1300 engine comes with the car. Doesnt some part of the air filter seem to be missing in the picture?

The car has stainless steel bumpers, and all chrome and trim seems to be intact. The exhaust is rather rusty, and probably needs to be changed - sounded OK though.

Finally, the car comes with a Becker Monte Carlo radio - didnt work, or wasnt connected - but looked really period and cool!

Thanks for any comments or advice - it is really needed! :)

·
Premium Member
6,681 Posts
that is one nice gt junior. i have two of them. get that junior, it's a much more practical car than a spitfire or a spider. also, the early step noses are going up in value and look great. don't be discouraged by the 1750...more power is good (both of mine have 2 liters) especially if the original 1300 comes with the car. the car seems to me like a decent driver but needs a little but of help (seats and stuff you mention) get the junior, you will be happy in the long run.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,365 Posts
I would never question Anthony's wisdom, but you need to understand that he lives in (relatively) dry California :)

In humid or wet climates, the general rule with Bertone coupes is that the rust you can see is always just the tip of a large iceberg! One particular concern on these cars is three layer rocker panels, which can trap moisture and rust from the inside out. The owner may very well have addressed all of the rust issues, but as you say the quick recurrence would indicate a poor repair.

Other than the rust concerns, it looks like a nice car that would clean up well, and, like Anthony says, provide you with quite a nice driver.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Get the GT Junior Jørgen! As Anthony mentioned these cars are gaining in value and are more practical than an open top car. I graduated from a Spider to my '67 GTV.

JoeCab's advice is sound but the rust you described might just be on the surface. No mention was made of rusty rocker panels.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice!
The rust seems "just" to be surface rust - no apparent rust in the sills etc. If I can get the price right, I think I will go for it.

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
Need photos of the rust ... wheel arch rust is a pain, but fixable, but will mean that the inner arch is probably rusty too.

You can get repair sections for the arch, but the radius is not as sharp as original ... pity.

If you have rust around the front of the rocker panels this is very bad as it probably means that the rocker versus front guard area has rusted ... there is a stupid horizontal shelf behind the front wheel and many idiots remove the splash guard and thus dirt sits there. Once a hole has developed dirt and water go right back into the rocker chassis member and IT IS RUST CITY.

Thus all you guys who have removed this splash guard ... PUT IT BACK ON and clean that shelf ... NOW, please!!!

If you have rust behind the right rear wheel this is because Alfa design another double skin and would put money on the inner panel NOT being repaired correctly and thus it has infected the outer panel.

Otherwise a nice looking car, and if windscreen pillars are okay and the front of the rockers (sills) are okay ... I would buy it.

A 105 series shell is really sills (rockers) and windscreen pillars ... everthing else comes second. The inner rocker chassis members are really important structural members ... as they hold the door pillars, etc. Many questionable handling racing cars in NZ, I suspect have weak door pillar bottoms and thus the shell is not as rigid as it should be ...

Good luck ... yep, you can save it!
Pete

·
Registered
98 Posts
save it

the car looks pretty solid and would be more practical than a spider for you, being in Denmark. The rust is a *****, but doable and relatively minor in a car that age. I had to abandon a spider when I found three inches of rust scale behind a panel. Didn't run anyway. Cheap parts car for my GTV. Good luck. Don't sweat the 1750 unless you want to show it. Just drive it.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I would say GO FOR IT! Especially it came with the original 1300 engine. Clean the engine, put it on a stand, looks really nice in a garage!! :D Alfa DOHC engine is a piece of art on its own.

And during my search of GTVs, the price had gone up quite a bit.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Whats the price? I hate re-doing someone's
crappy work!! Count on some serious cash to
repair all the rust, unless you are handy
with a torch:D

If its going to be a daily driver, go with the
GTV, as the spider's leaks and crammed quarters
will wear on you. If only a summer car, go with
the spider.

As always ask the boss(if you have one) first:rolleyes:

Good luck

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks again, guys!

The seller wants (hmm, calculate, dollarrates, :confused: ) something in the region of $8.500 for the car. He indicates that he will be willing to lower the price quite a bit, as he wants to get rid of it soon. I can probably get it for $7.500.

Dont know if the pricelevel in Denmark is comparable to the US, but I have seen Bertone Alfas going for anything from $6.000 to $23.000 for a perfect GTV2000. I guess this one is "cheap" - but 1300s seem to be less desirable here. The stepfront styling is by far the prettiest in my opinion, though.

A coupe would definitely be more practical with the lousy climate we have here in Denmark. I guess I drive my Spitfire around 30 days a year with the top down - the rest of the time its with the top up (which is rather noisy and boring), or the car stands in the garage (which is even more boring!). A coupe would make a lot more sence, but it really requires a lot of thought, not having a convertible ready in the driveway, when the sun is there!

I will probably make the guy an offer one of these days - especially since "the boss" loves the car! More info soon! :D

P.S: Great idea putting the engine on a stand in the garage! :) :cool:

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I'm not sure about how less desirable Juniors are considered here. A friend of mine is converting a 1750'd Junior to look like a '67 GT Veloce. I know that step nose GT's are becoming more and more sought after.

I know about converting from an open top car to a GT coupe, having sold my Spider to get my GTV. I do miss the open top every once in a while. I do not regret this move at all though. In my opinion, ingress and egress in a GT coupe is easier. And the driving position is much more comfortable.

Attachments

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Done deal! I got an offer for my Triumph Spitfire of partly race-prepared Triumph Dolomite and some $.

The Dolly:

I eyed the chance of getting both a Triumph and another Alfa in the driveway, so phoned the Giulia owner to make him a low offer (what I was offered in part-exchange on the spitfire) on the Giulia. He accepted! (****! it must have been too much!) Even so, it turns out I have swapped my spitfire for a racing-dolly and a Giulia - a good trade I think. Will pick up the Giulia tomorrow. More buletins and pictures as story evolves. :)

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, picked the GTJ up the other day - about 100km from where I live. The brakes were seized, but cleared after a few kilometers, and after that I was amazed of how well they worked. Truly outstanding for at car that age - and lightyears from the spiitfire I drove before. The steering was really hard, so I suspected a steering box rebuild. The engine (1750) ran really nice, idling at 900, oil pressure fint at 4kg/cm2.

Drove the car directly to my mechanics workshop, and put the car on a lift for thorough inspection. It turns out my gamble was good, since the car looks fine. Engine needs slight adjustment. No rust in the sills, only at the doors, bonnet etc. Nut bad, but of course needs to be fixed. Brakelines are fairly new, but one cylinder might need to be changed. The steering only needed lubrication, so the car will be ready for the MoT within a week or so.

A happy new Alfa owner! :)

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Congratulations Jørgen on your new aquisitions! I'm sure you will have many happy kilometers in your Junior! She's a beaut! Post more pictures of her in the Photo Gallery.

And that Dolomite is pretty cool looking too. I've never seen nor heard of one before.

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
Triumph was like a British version of Alfa. They built and raced some very nice Sports Cars, but they also built some very interesting 4-door sporty sedans.

Triumph and its sister company, Standard...produced a number of pretty cool 'saloons' in their time ('Saloon' is British for 'Berlina'). My Dad owned two Standard Vanguards when I was a baby, and my Mom said that I was conceived in one of them! :D These cars were powered by Triumph motors.

Eventually, Triumph produced the 'Dolomite'. A pretty nice car anyway, they also came out with several other sportier versions with larger motors (the originals had a 1300cc engine, while later models had up to an 1850cc motor). These were competitive cars in their time and now make very nice Vintage Racers (see pics below).

This is a VERY abreviated text, but just wanted to say a bit about the cool Triumph Saloons.

Cheers,

Attachments

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks, all!

Triumph was like a British version of Alfa
Funny you should mention it, Alex - that is exactly what I thought. The companies are in many ways similar - only Alfa exists today and Triumph doesnt. But both companies have been close to bankruptcy a number of times, and while Alfas owners decided to save the company, British Leyland decided to turn the key on Triumph in 1981. Triumphs deficulties - as Alfas - relied partly on their determination to make sporting cars rather than the more safe-bet economy saloons. I guess most of you know the Spitfire and TR2-8 range of convertible, but apart from that they made the Herald, Vitesse, 2000/2.5, Stag, Dolomite and many more. The Dolomite in its 16v Sprint version was hugely succesful in the 70's, especially in rallying.

My Dolomite is a more mundane 1850, but has been tweaked to 110bhp, and has a peen partly raceprepared with fire extinguisher, Sparco seat and belt, uprated brakes etc. I just need a roll cage to get racing.

Alberbat: another picture of the girl here, I suppose you mean the car ;-)

And by the way, my wife Helle is standing next to it :) She looks sceptical, but she loves the Junior :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts