Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,

I'm curious as to whether anyone can recommend a good "shop manual" for an '88 Spider.

I have one from IAP, and I'm not too happy with it, especially in the areas dealing with the interior and door panels. It is "off" enough to make me a bit wary of diving into the engine with it as my only reference.

(It was a complete disaster when it came to taking out the speedo and tach; fortunately, you guys helped me there).

I have heard of the "Car Disc" site; are those discs worth the investment?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Sincerely,

David

'88 Quad

·
Administrator
16,624 Posts
I have the 'Car Disc' CD. It is scans of the Alfa Shop Manuals. I suspect that the the paper versions that IAP sells are from the same/similar source. And both are copies of certain model year manuals but they may not be the exact model year of your car. Usually it is close enough for general work but minor details do vary among the model years.

The engine manuals (also included in the Car Disc CD's) would likely be quite useful to you. There are not as many differences between the model years in the engine vs things like instrument panels, door panels, etc.

Pat Braden's books are also useful for general info and tips for the home mechanic. But they are not model specific at all.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I'm very happy with the CarDisc manuals, thoughh I haven't used them to rebuild an engine.

The Alfa shop manual for our cars covers the model years 1986 to 1989. So far, whenever I have encountered some kind of variation in my '88 (and these have been so minor that I cannot recall them at this time), it has been covered in the separate Alfa manual for the 1990 model year. Fortunately, the 1990 shop manual is is also included on the CarDisc (as is the shop manual for the 1991-1994 Spiders).

I don't think that you will be disappointed in the CarDisc.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I'm very happy with the CarDisc manuals, thoughh I haven't used them to rebuild an engine.

The Alfa shop manual for our cars covers the model years 1986 to 1989. So far, whenever I have encountered some kind of variation in my '88 (and these have been so minor that I cannot recall them at this time), it has been covered in the separate Alfa manual for the 1990 model year. Fortunately, the 1990 shop manual is is also included on the CarDisc (as is the shop manual for the 1991-1994 Spiders).

I don't think that you will be disappointed in the CarDisc.
Love the CarDisc!

Its been great with my interior redo project. Just print out the sections you are working on, get them greasy and dirty, write notes on them, then later throw them away.

·
Registered
138 Posts
The CarDisc is no different than the paper version unless it has the engine rebuilders guide. Buy the Engine guide, it's all you would need. The only thing I don't like about the CarDisc is at some point like all other software it will no longer be supported. They do offer updates but sooner or later they will cease to work also. A book is a book and you'll always have if you take care of it.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I have the IAP book, and I have to say that it's not adequate for serious engine work. It seems to lack pertinent information. I will likely be buying the Cardisc next, but it needs to work using a MacOS X computer.

Can anyone verify the source of the IAP manual's content?

Tim

·
Registered
366 Posts
CarDisc is nothing but all the shop manuals scanned in PDF format. No worries about that not being supported. It requires Adobe Acrobat which is freeware and works on Mac and Windows. In fact, I could email any parts of it to anybody and they could read them if they have Adobe Acrobat installed. You get all the shop manuals and technical bulletins as well as the engine overhaul manual. There are also scanned sales brochures from all the years included as well. I've already copied the files to a memory stick, my home computer and my work computer so I can study my Alfa wherever I am.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
My CarDisc is not in PDF format (I wish it were), the images have the extension "PIC" but are unreadable by any graphics program that I have tried. Did you buy yours fairly recently?

A

·
0 Posts
I have the IAP book, and I have to say that it's not adequate for serious engine work. It seems to lack pertinent information.

Tim
The engine rebuild is covered in a seperate book, "Engine Overhaul, 2-liter Spider", try IAP part 04317

·
Registered
398 Posts
The engine rebuild is covered in a seperate book, "Engine Overhaul, 2-liter Spider", try IAP part 04317
So, if I add IAP part 04317 to the IAP service manual I already have, will I not need CarDisc for any repair work that might come up?

Tim

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I have always contended that it takes at least 3 different manuals to get the in formation that I want. Unfortunately for my '82 no amount of manuals will do the job. It seems that something is always left out on certain years. In my case nothing covers the '82 completely. I have learned to adlib with the information that I have.

I say get as much information as you can and then ask questions about what you can't find. Chances are some one else has run into the same problem.

A

·
0 Posts
Tim, it is hard to recommend for or against the car disc, it is has a parts book for your year car, that alone might be worth the price? And some components and sections have a factory manual that can be obtained as a reprint from many sources,not sure if the AROC is one of those sources. I suggest getting every factory manual and supplement that applies to your model and year.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Does anybody know what the scan resolution is on the CarDisc books? If it's at l4east 300dpi at full size, I'll probably go for it. But if it's 72dpi like the disc I bought for my Indian motorcycle, I'll forego the digital version for full resolution paper. 72dpi isn't sharp enough for my eyes to read without straining.

Tim

·
Registered
398 Posts
Unfortunately, the CarDisc site only has thumbnails and I can't tell what the actual print quality would be, based on those. I suppose I could ask someone at CarDisc to send me some sample pages, but itt seems that someone here who already has the disc would have a good idea or could open a page in Photoshop (or a similar program). If someone can send me a page, I could do the same thing and report back.

Tim

1 - 17 of 17 Posts