Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a suggestion for a decal that will cover the Panasport logo on Panasport wheel caps? The ones I purchased on eBay don't quite fit and don't accommodate the slight dome on the wheel cap. I have an 84 Spider.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Have you tried removing the domed Panasport badge/sticker? If it's removable, you may find the flat surface you need to stick on your new adhesive backed wheel center.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Here are 2 photos of Alfa logos on my 14X6 street Panasports. I also have them on the 14X7 Panasports that I use at the track. These are the cloisonne emblems for the heart grill and trunk lid that Centerline Alfa sells. They were items that had their metal laurel wreaths damaged, so I bought them from Centerline and removed the metal wreaths, removed the Panasport logos from the hubs and replaced them with the Alfa logo using 3M epoxy tape. They fit perfectly and have been on the road a couple years with no problems.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the thoughts. I believe the cloisonne emblems are too small for this hub. As for popping out the "Panasport" logo, I think that is a good solution but am having trouble getting it out. Must be good glue!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Panasport hubs do have a tough adhesive! My hubs had holes on the backside through which you could forcefully push a steel rod to get things going.

What diameter is your Panasport logo? The Centerline cloisonne without wreath is 50mm and with the wreath is 55mm. They also carry a 75mm plastic emblem for the 164s. The aluminum emblems they carry to replace in Alfa alloys are only 48mm.

·
Super Moderator
10,637 Posts
I was dealing with this issue a few months ago and was referred by someone on the BB to the online vendor: Online shop 3D wheel center caps

These guys make stick-on centercaps in a wide variety of diameters, from 14 to 90mm (I needed 53). They have a 4-color Alfa logo, but will also work from your artwork (in BMP, JPG, GIF, TIFF, PSD, AI, EPS, PDF format). I found some Alfa logo artwork on the web that matched the missing centercap on my aftermarket wheels, emailed it to 3dcarstickers, paid via PayPal at their website, and a couple weeks later had my caps. A set of four caps costs about $15 including shipping from Ukraine. I was very pleased.

The 3dcarstickers caps have a slight dome, but do need a flat surface to stick to. So SFAlfa925, you are going to have to pry off your old caps.

Here is my result:

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the suggestions.

The first photo below is the panasport cap with my Alfa decal glued to the top of the panasport logo. It looks okay but it doesn't sit flush because of the curve of the panasport logo.

Following the advice above, I was able to remove the panasport logo. I soaked the entire cap and logo in hot water and then used a phillips' head screw driver to push out the logo from the hole in the back of the cap. (see second photo).

The cap without the logo is in the third photo. My Alfa decals don't quite fit. I will either trim them or try to find another option with 3dcarstickers or another vendor.

Thanks for all the help.

Attachments

·
Registered
258 Posts
They're going to look good when you get them in. Is the metalic-looking rim around the Alfa logo removable? If so, does it reduce the diameter enough to fit? Or can you make a disk of the proper diameter whose depth matches the hubs indentation depth then simply center mount to that? Good luck.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, nothing is easy. I was able to trim the decals I purchased to fit the panasport cap. They will do for now until my order comes from 3dcarstickers.com. See first photo.

But, my new caps only fit on the back wheels. They do not fit on the front wheels because the grease cap sits too high. See second photo. Any suggestions? I think a lower profile grease cap would work, but I'm not sure if they make such a thing. Are all grease caps interchangeable?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,637 Posts
Well, nothing is easy....They do not fit on the front wheels because the grease cap sits too high....I think a lower profile grease cap would work, but I'm not sure if they make such a thing. Are all grease caps interchangeable?

Is the problem that the trim caps don't fit over the grease caps at all, or that the slight dome of the "Panasport" logo trim was enough to make the difference in fit?

I have seen grease caps that are more rectangular in cross-section; that is, more "flat top" than "round top". You might find one in the right diameter that would fit the Alfa hub. But the issue might be clearance between the spindle & nut and the inside of the grease cap.

You might try removing your existing grease caps, fitting the Panasport trim caps, and see how much clearance there is between the spindle & nut and the inside of the trim cap. Then see if you can find a grease cap with the right dimensions to split that difference.

If all you need is 1/16" or so, you might get away with just dinging in the rounded top of your existing grease caps. I'm not sure how much clearance you have before they begin hitting the spindle & nut, but you see some pretty banged-up caps that still seem to fit.

It might be easier to just find deeper trim caps. Or to install wheel spacers if all you need is 1/8" or so.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The trim caps don't fit over the grease caps. If I remove the grease caps, the trim caps fit. So that suggests that if I find a low profile grease cap -- maybe like the flat ones you found -- I might be able to get it to work.

I hadn't thought about flattening out the current caps. That might work, provided I don't distort the cap and prevent it from fitting back on.

As for a higher profile trim cap, I actually have the ones that ALFABFU has. I'm switching away from them because I like the look of my new ones a little better.

Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Unfortunately, the new grease caps from NAPA didn't do the trick, nor did trying to flatten the existing caps. I guess my last hope is wheel spacers. Can i put spacers on just the front wheels? I need 1/4 inch at most.

·
Super Moderator
10,637 Posts
I guess my last hope is wheel spacers. Can i put spacers on just the front wheels? I need 1/4 inch at most.
Yes, no law says your front and rear track width have to match.

However:

- Adding spacers reduces the effective length of your wheel studs. Since you are using acorn-style lugnuts, it is tough to measure how much thread penetration you are getting with no spacers. But you do know that with 1/4" spacers, you will get 1/4" less - will that be enough?

- Spacing out the front wheels does mess with the front end geometry. With the correct offset (and no spacers) the tire patch matches the axis of the steering, which minimizes friction. Changing the track width will force the tires to "scrub" against the road as the car is steered.

- Increased track width puts more stress on front end components, as the mass of the car acts through a greater lever arm. Admittedly, adding 1/4" isn't much, unless you do a lot of off-roading with your Alfa!

I'm not saying "no, don't add spacers"; just suggesting the pitfalls.

I guess my last hope is wheel spacers
Might another alternative be finding different wheel caps - like the ones below, only deeper. What about a wheel & tire dealer - might they have something? Where did you get the wheels? Might that supplier have caps in a variety of depths?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
All good thoughts. Thanks.

These are Panasports, and Panasport has told me that there are only two caps that fit. My original ones and my new ones. I guess I will be moving back to my original set.

·
Super Moderator
10,637 Posts
Panasport has told me that there are only two caps that fit. My original ones and my new ones. I guess I will be moving back to my original set.
I don't know how ugly your original wheel caps are, but moving back to them sounds like the simpler and cleaner solution.

·
Premium Member
5,542 Posts
I ran into this problem with an early set of Rota wheels. They have since modified their hubs to fit the Alfa grease cap. Anyway, I made a spacer from sch40 plastic pipe to extend the Wheel hub out enough to clear. Painted it silver and then used rtv to attach it to the grease cap. Sounds goofy but it worked and didn't look out of place.

Not sure if the Panasports are the same but Rota's are a clone of Panasport (which is a clone of Minilites)...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts