Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Alfa Romeo 2000 Touring Spider from January 1959
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Dear all,

There have been some discussions on decals for the 2000 and 2600 Spiders (e.g. 2600-decals-stickers.188153 and 2600 engine bay decals). Classic Alfa in the UK (Classic Alfa | UK Largest Classic Alfa Romeo Parts Online) sells a selection (badges-decals-1) for ignition coils, brake fluid canister, heating box, radiator, jack, wheels and oil filter housing. In the discussions on AlfaBB, a Pirelli decal for the hose between airbox and airfilterhousing has been mentioned as well. Most of the discussion on AlfaBB have been related to 2600 Spiders and I can find very little information on decals for the 2000 Spiders in these discussions. Looking at period pictures in magazines, I can see little evidence for decals on parts other than on the ignition coil, oil filter housing and on the brake fluid canister. Maybe the typical engine bay pictures do not show the heating box and the place where the radiator decal is positioned, but I see no evidence for a label on the air hoses or on the wheel rims.

Does anyone knows what decals where on the 2000 Spiders originally? Does anyone have period pictures showing these decals? Or pictures showing decals on unrestored parts?

BR Pieter

·
--ADMINISTRATOR--chiuso per ferie
13,358 Posts
I would be careful when buying stickers from vendors. Most do not have the intimate knowledge of originality or placement like some of the folks on the AlfaBB. The thread below has a lot of information on stickers for the 2000. I don't think Doug is active on the BB or making stickers anymore.

·
Registered
4,242 Posts
Pieter, those are good questions that you ask about decals and stickers for the old Two-liters. To answer your question, there are probably a few guys around that can say for sure what stickers or decals originally came on their cars and where. Our good friend, the 'Two-liter Lover' -Jay Nuxoll probably knows as much about these cars as anyone; having driven the factory demonstrator in Europe, when it was brand new. He also drove one as a 'daily driver' in his law practice for something like 30 years and currently has 'the trifecta': a Roadster, a sprint and a Berlina!

I've only had a Touring Roadster (TR) for a little over 30 years at this point (so take what I write with a grain of sand) and I know that there are more decals and stickers available now, than the cars ever really came with. Typical of our beloved Alfa Romeo, (the company) they tended not to be so consistent and repeatable, as say Porsche. It is likely that many of the stickers and decals now available showed up on factory new vehicles at one time or another but it is not likely that all cars had all of these decals and stickers. Also keep in mind that some stickers and decals are reproductions in 'spirit' only.
007.jpg

For example, the air filter canister did not originally come with a decal but the filter information was actually printed right on the canister lid.

air filter canister width.jpg

air filter canister length (1).jpg

Osso did not mention it but he has a large portfolio of decals, stickers and dry transfers that he has recreated in painstaking detail. Unfortunately not many of which were created specifically for our cars, although some may be the same as those found on other Alfas.

My first TR actually came with the 'IPRA' label on the control box for heat and ventilation (30+ years ago). Unfortunately before it turned 40, the label had fallen off and had to be reattached. The original label appeared to be a stiff brown paper label that had been stamped from behind to give it a sort of 3D effect, like base relief or something. The repop that Doug made had this detail but in 'living color' -which may or may not have been on the original but was on one that I found on-line, used for another purpose and submitted to Doug.

Here is a fairly original looking engine compartment, unfortunately I don't believe that you will see many, if any decals or labels. Period car magazines occasionally showed engine compartment shots but the photo detail is often grainy and poor.

s-l1600.jpg

The Two-liter was basically the 164 of the 50's and 60's; a great car but relatively unloved in its day.

Mark

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would be careful when buying stickers from vendors. Most do not have the intimate knowledge of originality or placement like some of the folks on the AlfaBB. The thread below has a lot of information on stickers for the 2000. I don't think Doug is active on the BB or making stickers anymore.

Hi Brian,
I remember this discussion thread and also remember the decals on eBay, a couple of years ago. I think I even contacted Doug some years ago, but he was 'sold out', if memory serves me well. I should have bought a set of Doug’s decals when they came out, I guess. I stumbled (again) over the '2000 labels II' thread while using the search function on my phone. I think I missed a few pages then, as there is quite a lot of information that I was looking for.

I will go through the thread once more, and this time I will read all the info, Nonetheless, the question still open. Were there any Fregat decals on the wheels, similar to the ones found on Giulietta's from the same period?

Gr., Pieter

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Mark,

I bought my Spider in 2011. It is one of Jay Nuxoll's old cars. He was the second owner. We have been in contact previously, and he even sent me some old paper work that still belonged to the car. I seriously miss his input on two liter discussions in recent years. Actually, I had a trip booked that started in Seattle, last summer, but Corona screwed that up. I had planned to ask Jay if I could come by and see his G'Raj Mahal. I hope for better luck (and a vaccine) for next year.

I like the picture of your engine bay. Nice to see the later style engine shield still there. I recently bought an original early style engine shield from Don Peterson. It is covered on one side with cloth and on the other side it has been treated with something that looks like wrinkled asphalt (it is not wrinkle paint). Not sure if it is original, but it is definitely looking very old. I like it and will 'restore' it like that. I tried to fit it in but it seems to collide with the wiring between fire-wall and starter. Not sure if the cables are supposed to be on the inside (heat-issues?) or on the outside (no place!) of the engine shield.

Gr., Pieter

1 - 5 of 5 Posts