Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notice that if I just let the clutch out and move off from a stop in my s4 spider like I would any other car, it almost lugs. That is, Even with the accelerator all the way down, it moves slowly for maybe 3 seconds. The "cure" for this is to bring the revs up before bringing out the clutch. I don't like doing that, as it wears the clutch. Is this something others have experienced?

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Most Spiders are lacking in the lower end department, they were made to rev higher. Buying one of the magnaflow exhaust systems from Simon would definetly help broaden out your HP/Torque curve, giving a little more than what you have now on the bottom end, downside is you have a 1991 Spider, so you'd have to buy headers for the years that kit was made to fit. If you do this, get the headers ceramic coated, no since in baking your master cylinders (both brake and clutch).

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Sam, this condition is not typical of a good running Motronic 2 liter. Both my '91 and Irene's '94 have acceptable low end torque. Now that being said, I do not normally just let out the clutch with the motor at near idle. I do give it a bit of gas, but no more than any other manual transmission car.

I know you just took delivery recently, but have you been through the motor yet? I'm talking about plugs, distributor cap/rotor, air filter, observed the VVT solenoid action, verified cam timing, fuel filter, tank full of 93 octane, etc. There is no timing adjustment, only the gap at the crank pulley sensor.

I know what lack of low-end torque feels like... my first Alfa was a Giulietta Sprint Normale with a worn out Lucas distributor, and that awful Solex carb.:eek:

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
I concur: it should only take a few revs to get things moving without bogging down. (I don't think I've ever had to go much beyond 1300-1600 or so to get moving smoothly, but I don't actually look to see the exact revs I'm at)

In addition to alfaloco's suggested checks, you may want to peek at the connection, orientation/setting, and actual functionality of the TPS along with checking for false air leaks and freedom of movement in the AFM.

·
Registered
492 Posts
You might also check the linkage - in my case with my S4, my mechanic replaced all those little clips and lubbed it up and I went from stalling and lugging at a start to gently releasing clutch and taking off. You would not think the linkage would make a difference but check it out!

·
Premium Member
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, all. I think it is more a function of me getting used to the power curve. I did have it gone through and all seems well, so it must be me :eek:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts