Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 92 Spider Veloce . The Speedo and fuel gauge just stopped working . This was an issue when I first picked up the car 6 years ago.At that time i removed the monopod noticed a screw that was not grounded properly , i installed the screw and that did the trick , but the same problem occured , I disassembled the monopod once again , checked all the screws re assembled , and the gauges worked - however i noticed i put the idiot light film in backwards thus requiring another disassemble reassemble cycle - and then the gauges did not work - seems to be a loose connection on the modular plug ,

any suggestions?
would dielectric grease help ?

thanks

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,113 Posts
I am not a fan of dielectric grease for most electrical applications. Maybe some under hood stuff where things potentially get wet, but it has no place being used for non-moving interior connectors like that.

If the connections need cleaning use contact cleaner (I like Caig DeOxit). Sounds like you just need to find a loose connection or wire somewhere and tighten it up, though.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I have had the same issue in my 91 car - disassemble the unit to fix a problem,put it back and discover that one or more gauges or warning lights that were working fine have stopped working.
For mine it seems to be a problem with the connector blocks. I now spray liberally the male parts on the circuit board and inside the connector plugs with contact cleaner before putting them back together. This works well.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the responses , i cleaned all contacts - reassembled (with the idiot light card in the correct position !) wrestled the trim ring back in position and .... nothing - a quick tap to the monopod in frustration and the fuel gauge came to life - speedo worked . the next day the gauges worked on the way to breakfast - on the way home nothing - any other suggestions???:mad:

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Can you narrow it down at all?
For example, when you lose the gauges, do you lose all of them at the same time - speedo, revs, temp., oil, volts, fuel?

Or, when the speedo and fuel goes, do you still have the volts and oil pressure? I ask because the volts and oil are on a separate 'circuit' to the lower gauges and dials.. If you look carefully at the back of the unit you will see what I mean.

The gauges need power as well as a signal from the respective sender to work. This power is picked up from an electrical line on the flexible circuit board. Each gauge and each light bulb on the upper unit, for example,is drawing from a common line and connecting to earth via a common line.

There is a power feed and earth connection to the upper (volts/oil, associated lights) via the connector plug that clips into it. The lower (all the other stuff) has three plugs one of which supplies the power and earth connection. I did a diagram showing all the wires and their colours for each of the connectors on my 91 model. Send me a PM with email address and I will send you a copy. Might not be exactly same as yours but should be similar.

Both the upper and lower sections are fed from the same fuse on the main fuse board under the dash. So, if everything goes off, check the fuse and feed from there.
If the upper section of the instruments works whilst the other doesn't you can look just at the suspect section.
Then,on that dodgy section, if the gauges go off check whether the background lights (the ones that come on when you switch on the headlights) on that section still work. That will tell you whether power is getting to the section.
If power is getting to the section but not to individual gauges or bulbs it suggests breaks in the continuity on the flexible board. You could run jumper wires direct from a power source to the gauges or from the gauges to earth if that is the case.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
both gauges, speedo and fuel die at the same time - all others are fine
all instrument lights work

could it be a loose ground at the fuel tank sending unit?

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Hi, there could be a loose connection for the fuel sender but this has no connection to the speedo. Incidentally, has the odometer stopped working too?

I have emailed you my notes/diagram. On my car one of the four connector plugs supplies the feed to the fuel gauge and the speedo plus the warning light for when the lights are switched on (is this working on yours?) but not much else.

On the basis that both the fuel and speedo go off at the same time but other stuff works I would give that connector a good check - does it seat properly, is the plastic retaining clip in a good state (I'm sure you know, these blocks should actually click into place)?

Good luck!

·
Registered
184 Posts
had a similar issue with my 85 -dual pod of course - but I would lose tach and fuel guage turned out ( thanks to great info from PapaJam ) to be a corroded cig lighter that I would bump when working on other things or would short out during acceleration or decelleration or any other time it darn well pleased
seems it was on the same circuit replaced it and no more tach or fuel issues
just a possible thought that the issue may be some where els in the circuit

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Being Alfas you're right, the fault could be due to something/anything further outfield - it's like accupuncture, stick a needle in to your foot to cure pain in your neck:confused:

I'm guessing something more local to the pod in this case cos everything else keeps working.
( I'm assuming that it would be too much of a coincidence for the speedo pulse generator and the fuel sender to both have stopped working at the same time buts thats another possibility:()

1 - 9 of 9 Posts