Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings Alfisti.

Today I brought my 85 Veloce out of winter storage and it's running rough, sounding like a dead cylinder. I put some injector cleaner in it after driving it for 15ish miles. Drove another 10. Pulled and regapped the plugs. All dry and looking roughly the same. Idled the motor and started pulling plug wires off one at a time. When I took the wire off the third cylinder from the front the engine didn't sound any different, so that's the dead one. There was definitely spark going to it. It appears that the wires are connected to the injectors.

Is there anything to try before taking it in to a mechanic?

Thanks, Ciao!

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
If you've enough slack in the harness, swap injector wire on #3 with either #2 or #4 and see if the dead cylinder is still #3
(the injectors batch fire so it doesn't really matter what wire goes to what one)
If so, then check for actual spark at #3, and if present, consider that it is prolly the injector that's stuck or gummed up.

Viable to also shuffle the plugs around to see if the fault follows that particular plug to wherever it moves.

It may 'recover' after being warmed up and left to sit over night, but that's more wishful thinking than factual event.

Point of note:
All in~tank injector cleaner does is pick stuff up from the tank and lines then carry it to the injectors where it can create clogs.
To properly service injectors they need to be removed and sent someplace like OK Injectors or Cruzin Performance.

·
Registered
it's almost a alfa romeo spider
11,037 Posts
had the same problem after my car sat for a year, as i was doing some work on the car( t5, qa1 shocks) had 2 dead clys, i know that they had 185-195 on compression test before i put her down,, so i put 2-3 cap fulls of new motor oil in each cly( cap, as in the twist cap that comes off the oil bottle) turn the motor over by hand a few times, let sit over night.. next moring pull the plugs out, spun the motor over with the stater, checked compession,, all the way up to 175-195 psi.. drove the car around for a week,, rechecked the comprssion.. all cly 185-195 psi.. so drop a few caps fulls of oil in the clys. let sit over night,, see what happends..

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I switched the plugs and the same cylinder is dead. I know there's power to the plug because the plug cap was arcing to the head when it was off the plug. I'm not sure which injector wire is the right one to try - is it the one that plugs in right above the fuel line? There are other ones that plug into bolts with terminals.

By the way, I remember last year the car had a poppy sound out the back, a sound something like it sounds now but it's much more pronounced now and there's a big drop in power now. Not to mention the engine sounds the same with that plug off or on.

I haven't tried the oil in the cylinders. Are removing the injectors a job for the shop or is it safe to attempt at home. I've done a fair amount of work on cars like overhauling carburetors and such but never anything with injection.

Thanks.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Perhaps this post will be of use.
The injector plug goes onto the injector itself, not a bolt or anything else.

As to removing the rail and injectors for service, yes, it can be accomplished by the at~home wrencher and has been done many times over by various forum folk who have left some really good threads with good pix from before/during/after the process.

The only problem that seems to crop up with any regularity is the rubber support bushing in the middle of the rail and how to get at it, or replace it due to failure.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, I see by that picture which wire it is. However I don't know if I can get another one to #3, even though #3's wire will reach another injector.

An interesting piece of additional info, I just went out to put the plugs back to where they were initially so it would be consistent in case I took it to the shop. When I pulled the #3 wire off for the test, I shut it down with the wire still off. The plug that came out of #3 was wet and smelled like gas. So at least some gas is getting in there. Now I'm wondering what's up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts