Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Admin
4,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on another automotive forum (forgive me) and I found an interesting thread on de-carbonizing your motor with water. Has anyone ever tried this on his or her Alfa Romeo? Supposedly you remove your CAT, rev the motor to 3000 and spray or introduce water into the air intake or a joining vacuum line. After repeating for a short period of time you can actually see allot of stuff come out of the exhaust.

Although many people spoke of doing this with excellent results (increased compresion & cleaner parts on teardown) I was wondering if anyone here on our board has any experience with this.

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
I've seen many times the effect of water injection when headgaskets blew, but never tried it on purpose! Pistons n stuff were absolutely spotless. I will caution though that dumping in too much water too fast may result in hydraulic lock which can destroy the engine. BMWs method for de-coking the engine was (maybe still is) to use Walnut shells!
I would think that after a de-coke, the compression would drop a minute amount 'cause the combustion chamber is now a little larger.
So who's gonna be the Guinea pig?

·
Admin
4,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
papajam said:
So who's gonna be the Guinea pig?
That’s what I'm asking. I've been a member on the Pelican BB for awhile and many of the posters over there that commented on the topic are quite knowledgeable. I'm sold on the idea! I’d try it on my car but unfortunately its motor is being reassembled due to a broken head stud. Perhaps the wife won’t mind me doing this to the mini van but even at that the mini van has low mileage.

What we need is a high mileage motor and a before and after compression test.

Sniady? Stop hiding! We need your motor for the sake of the group.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I did it on a Milano, and it seemed to help some, but there were so many other things wrong, it was hard to tell how much this helped.

One of these days, I'm going to do it to a non Alfa that I have. As long as you dribble the water in, you should be ok, just don't dump it. On the Milano, I used one of the vac lines, and just dunked it in a thing of water.

Eric

1 - 6 of 6 Posts