Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am rebuilding a pair of DCOE 32's that seem in good condition.

Many images of DCOE's found on the net show no o-ring or washer under the spring on the idle screw. Some pics do show these parts present.

My idle screws DO NOT have step and are long and tapered. Should I have a washer and o-ring down in there?

They didn't upon removal....

Also, the pump jet had no seal on the bottom like in the images I've seen.

Seems as there are many variations out there, just want to get it right as these carbs are going on a fresh rebuild that hasn't run in 14 years.:surprise:

Thanks

·
Registered
871 Posts
I am rebuilding a pair of DCOE 32's that seem in good condition.

Many images of DCOE's found on the net show no o-ring or washer under the spring on the idle screw. Some pics do show these parts present.

My idle screws DO NOT have step and are long and tapered. Should I have a washer and o-ring down in there?

They didn't upon removal....

Also, the pump jet had no seal on the bottom like in the images I've seen.

Seems as there are many variations out there, just want to get it right as these carbs are going on a fresh rebuild that hasn't run in 14 years.:surprise:

Thanks
Hi, originally DCOE 32's did not have a concave washer and o ring under the mixture screw (I presume you mean the 4 x mixture screws rather than the one idle screw ?).
They came to prominence with the advent of the "emission" DCOE's.
However, it is a good modification to use a washer and o ring under them, as it gets rid of another potential air leak problem down the threads.
(People found , particularly in old DCOE's, that air would be sucked down these worn threads, as well as through worn throttle spindle bushings, and any good solution such as this helps). The advent of the use of sealed roller bearings instead of bronze or brass throttle spindle bushes in the early carbs virtually eliminated the throttle spindle wear problem and subsequent air draw through them.
Make sure you get the correct concave washer though, as using a flat washer will just distort the o ring as you tighten it down. It needs to locate in the washer properly,.

All accelerator pump jets, no matter what the model of DCOE should have the aluminium sealing washer under the lower shoulder.

Hope that helps,
Steve

1 - 3 of 3 Posts