Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Group,

Has anyone had experience removing the brass plugs that seal up the internal drilled passageways on the main carb body? How are they secured? I'm guessing a tappered plug pressed in place, but it would be good to hear from some experience before going down this road. I am wanting to check for restrictions from old fuel etc. on one carb that I can't get to perform correctly. Yes I have triple checked everything else conceivable that would create my situation. Any input greatly appreciated.

Vern in Oregon

·
Super Moderator
12,309 Posts
Vern,
They are indeed pressed in. However, before removing any, you need to be a plumber and fish around in those passages with copper wire, followed by blasting them out with high pressure (200psi usually works) air. I use one of the older "non-safety" air basters with a rubber tip to seal against the opening. WEAR EYE PROTECTION. Crud comes out at high velocity!
Should you remove an old brass plug in one of these sand cast Webers, be sure to replace it with dead soft annealed brass or copper. Those sand castings are old, and you do not want to crack one with a plug that is too hard.
From my experience.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts