Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't know if any of you guys in the states can help me .
In november I am bringing our 64 sprint gt to race at the Daytona historic meet. I'm looking for some ideas on top speeds and suspension set up.
At the moment we are sprung softly for circuit work and a top speed of 125mph.
Does anybody know if that will be ok ?

·
Registered
106 Posts
I've run at Daytona and there are three things you need to be aware of...

1) Make certain your pan is baffled rather well or you have an accumulator (Accusump) external reservoir to make certain you don't suck air from loadings on the banking.

2) Rear end gearing should be higher than anything you have in the UK bar Rockingham. I run VIR, Watkins Glen, Road Atlanta, Road America and still, I'm short at Daytona, enough to carry another set of wheels and tires that are physically taller in order not to rev past 8000 rpm in a 2-liter car (4.78 R&P, .85 fifth)

3) Stiffen the car a bit and take out camber somewhat on the left side. The inside left front tends to run hot on a symmetric set-up, depending on how much negative camber you run statically. The stiffening is to counteract the car settling "down" on the tires and keeps the body and fenders from rubbing...

Have fun! It's an awesome place...

-Peter
www.peterkrause.net

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Peter,

Thanks very much for that information , just what I was looking for.
What size / type of tyre are you using with that set up ?
At the moment we use the historic dunlops , but I would like to use something a bit more modern if possible.

We're going to have a lot of fun , just wonder if we've got enough power to climb the bank !!

·
Registered
106 Posts
I assume you run the Top Hat series or FIA Historics?

I normally run a 7" wide, 14" diameter wheel with 225/50D-14 Hoosier bias-ply Street TD tires. At Daytona, I run a 7" wide, 15" diameter wheel with 225/50D-15 Hoosier Street TD's. I think the Dunlop M's would be too short. The local expert here in the states is Dave Handy at SascoSports. He is the East Coast Dunlop, Avon, Goodyear, Toyo dealer. For Hoosiers, I use Bob Woodman Tires in Charleston, SC. You can order from either and they will bring what you order to Daytona and mount them for you there so no carriage.

I'll get you diameters shortly.

·
Richard Jemison
7,180 Posts
Daytona

If you are running a .83, .86 or .88 fifth gear I would not think anything lower geared than a 4.56 would be reasonable. You might want to consider higher depending on your power band. In these slow cars, between the
bus-stop & turn one you will be in top gear at max RPM for about 15 minutes. Huh peter?:p

I would not suggest much changing on the car. It needs to be very predictable to you. Zero toe (in or out) is important due to length & speed on banking.

Bring some "Depends"! The first time is so much fun you will pee yourself!:eek:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Don't worry about climbing the banking, You are accelerating as you go through the big turns on both ends, only go as high as you need to. For a lot of cars that is right above the painted line at the bottom of the turn! You can take your hands off the wheel at about 140mph just above the middle of the track on the banking.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts