Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Man oh man does she put the miles on her "Quik AG". It now has 190,201 miles on it and we got it at 139,000 back in 2005.

It has been 23,000 since I did head gaskets and installed fresh heads and timing belt.

What I thought was going to be just replacing broken R/H fog light has turned into a couple days work at least.

So far today I have:

Replaced broken fog light, retensioned loose alternator belt and found failed front lower Saab 9000 motor mount when I lifted motor out of it to tension belt.

So replaced failed front motor mount (darn modiified Saab 9000 MTC made in India) with another MTC one (last one in this house) as I have no OEM 164 lower front mounts in my spares. I will have one or two pretty soon for next time when timing belt change is due I bet.

Retensioned serpentine belt for w/p and a/c.

Replaced R/H series 1 Euro Elma parking light lens that would not stay locked onto Elma headlight (had new spare from Oz).

Replaced burned out 168 peanut bulb for "city lights" in L/H Elma headlight.

Replaced burn out bulbs in speedo cluster for oil gauge and right side of speedo. Used 2721 bulbs

Changed oil as she had 9000 miles since last change done last May. It was dino oil so that is a no no. Even to long for full syn IMHO. Will have to give her a reminder decal on when next change due.

Part of her hard brake pedal issue gripe I found was rear pads worn paper thin and rotors shaky thin so installing new rotors and pads.

I may have more issues with brakes as pedal hard like no booster assist.

Had to replace rubber boot on L/F strut as it was chewed up and caught inside bump stop.

It cost money to keep up a 20 year old $900 164B but better than car payments for a college girl and a father on fixed retirement funds.

Well back to work retracting rear caliper pistons with C-clamp and vise grips. Managed to finish rear rotors and pads without major drama.

Looks like we have a issue with L/F brake caliper dragging. Tomorrow I will try to determine if it is a hose issue or master cylinder issue. I think booster is OK.

Gave it a full day at the Alfa office today should sleep well tonight.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
27,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Retracting rear caliper piston and new rotors/pads installed.

Attachments

·
Registered
583 Posts
Steve, I have a rear Caliper tool set that works great on the 164's. much easier and quicker. If you ever need to borrow it let me know.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
I have done the plier trick as well in the past on the rear calipers, but the last time I used a universal square block type tool that I filed down the tabs to fit the angled grooves on the 164 piston. It worked well. Also, I'm not using one of those Saab mounts ever again either, as they are not fun to R&R with the engine in place. I'm seriously thinking about going foglight-less, I'm tired of buying them and never use them anyway.
Charles

Attachments

·
Registered
583 Posts
I had one of the square type and broke it on another vehicle so I just bit the bullet and spent the $100 on a complete set.

·
Premium Member
27,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Well, after some other events we had to do today with truck, I was able to get back to brake issue on her 164B. Binding L/F caliper turned out to be internally block flex brake hose to caliper.

Now to get two new front tires today and get alignment tomorrow and hopefully it will be good to go for another 12k when timing belt change will be due.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Sir, you are a great dad!

·
Premium Member
27,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Premium Member
27,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got alignment today and had to then go back to tire shop and get front tires rebalanced as I had a shimmy going to and from alignment shop.

Tow was way out 11/32 and steering wheel way left of center. It steers better and wheel straight now but fixed camber off so he set in some tow 1/16 and 1/32 for total 3/32 to compensate for excessive camber. I have to trust the pro he knows his stuff.

The tire shop was supposed to balance them when they rotated them to front from rear and put new ones on rear.

One wheel had no weights on it so who did what is anybodys guess.

I have to drive it again tomorrow to be sure it is good now.

Hope we can get daughter through spring semester with no more major issues.

Few more issues to check over tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
27,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Replaced rear hub and bearing assembly today as one of the lug bolt holes was stripped out by either an over zealous tire changer or state inspector. Just happened to have a new non-ABS hub in spares.

Replaced R/F Euro Series 1 Elma headlight with another new spare as reflector not a bright as L/H one so right road side edge projection dimmer at night. Noticed that last night when I drove it,

Put some gauges on a/c system to verify pressure still good as yesterday I could not get compressor to come on and I thought ambient temp was warm enough for it to work but I was wrong I guess.

Worked fine today as temp in garage well about 40F and low side was right at 30 psi and high reading 150 psi and slowly went up to 225 and fan cut right in and dropped hight side back to 150.

Car really runs nice so hopefully it will stay that way for awhile for her.

·
Premium Member
27,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Not so fast, she called today after smoke seen coming from left rear wheel on way to class.

So we dashed over with Black Beauty again to swap out cars so she could get to class (late) but go anyway.

Brake was stinking bad but wheel not binding so I drove it home and saved a tow.

I suspect I have another bad brake hose as I only changed left froint one as right front one flowed fluid good with press bleeder. I did not check rear ones.

I changed master cylinder couple years ago so hope this is not another one going bad. Was same brake smoking way back then too.

Daughter came over after class and we checked parking brake cable and parking lever on rear caliper and all that seems fine but left caliper is binding more than right.

·
Premium Member
27,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Another day another dollar yada yada. Fingers crossed. Ended up finding that I could not get fluid out of right rear brake line/hose so disconnected rigid line at brake valve in rear cross member and still coiuld not get fluid to right side port but got it to left side caliper that smoked yesterday.

Ended up changing poor boys ABS valve in rear cross member and both rear brake hoses and right front hose as I had already changed failed left front hose already.

Daughter brought black beauty back so she helped me bleed brakes. After test drive I let her take her 164B home to the beach. My fingers are crossed.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My first post, but have been reading you for months now. I have a 94 LS ( and two spiders and a 91L) I am trying to get treatment! I am thinking about replacing the brake lines and fuel lines. Where can I get specs on the size of the lines and connectors for the brakes. I am also told that there is a compression fitting in the fuel lines that needs special treatment.

·
Premium Member
27,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
My first post, but have been reading you for months now. I have a 94 LS ( and two spiders and a 91L) I am trying to get treatment! I am thinking about replacing the brake lines and fuel lines. Where can I get specs on the size of the lines and connectors for the brakes. I am also told that there is a compression fitting in the fuel lines that needs special treatment.
Go to NAPA store they have the correct fittings and 6mm brake lines. http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/815536-post20.html Brake lines and fitting in picture show two different size fittings that are used to connect four lines to brake valve in rear cross member. Two larger 12mm fittings and two smaller 10mm fittings. All fittings on other end of the four lines are same 10mm size so if NAPA makes you new lines you need to have two (2) 12mm fittings for one of long lines going under car and above tank and one of the lines going to left side caliper to fit in two larger ports on valve shown in pix.

As for compression fitting on fuel line do you mean black Rislan "plastic" tubing from fuel tank to fuel filter? It is heat shrunk to metal lines.

As for metal fuel lines running under car they are 7mm and are joined to next lines in engine bay with 7.5mm fuel injection hose and same size hose at fuel filter elbow and to Rislan line up above fuel tank.

As for Rislan line and elbow at fuel filter in picture coming from tank unless elbow badly rusted at filter you reuse it as is. If you need elbow I think BMW and or VW use similar elbow.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks Steve. I need to get the car up in the air and look at it for a night or two, then make a list and do it. I have seen black powder coated lines in Jegs that look very nice.

Thanks for your help\\Joe

1 - 15 of 15 Posts