Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
She graduates from driving school tomorrow so we did a Maintenance Tire changing and Fluid Check 101 yesterday. She worked up a real sweat changing tire using 164 jack and tool kit and installing red emergency spare after we did fluid check. She did real good changing tire but saw that a cell phone may be a really good tool to have.

Here is list I made her to go by for fluid check, comments please.

Daughter of mine,

Print this off, please

The checklist for under hood fluid levels, tires and battery on the your Quik Silver Alfa 164:

Release hood lever inside car. PULL HARD.
Push gently on hood while pulling hood safety latch under grill and lift hood.

Pull engine oil dip stick, wipe clean with rag and reinsert, pull out again and check engine oil level. If low (near second dot hole in dip stick add 1 to 2 quarts of 20w50 Castrol SynBlend oil.

Visually check brake fluid level in brake reservoir. If low unhook wire connectors to cap, remove cap slowly and let fluid drain out of blue cylinder attached to cap into reservoir then remove it and add a little DOT 3 or 4 rated fluid reinstall blue cylinder/cap and see if level up to max mark on side.

Remove power steering reservoir cap wipe clean reinsert, remove again check fluid level. If hot or cold use correct mark on cap stick to verify level add small amount of Valvoline Synthetic power steering fluid and recheck.

Check engine coolant level in coolant tank visually by looking at outside of tank if tank clear enough to see coolant level. If not when engine is cold by slowly removing cap and looking inside. DO NOT remove cap when engine hot. If low add 50/50 mix of Peak brand coolant (distilled water and coolant).

Check automatic transmission fluid level by starting engine in PARK and let idle. Pull out green handled dip stick and wipe clean. Reinsert and pull out and check fluid level. Read both sides of dip stick for hot or cold temp levels. If low use a narrow ended funnel and add some ATF Dextron III fluid.

To check tire pressures use tire gauge, remove valve caps and check for 30-32 psi pressure, reinstall valve caps. If low use air hose with tire inflator chuck or portable compressor to fill tires to 30-32 psi. BEST done when tires cold.

To check battery open trunk lid, remove carpet cover over battery and check cable connections for corrosion and water level. If corroded use baking soda and water mix to clean cables.

To check battery water level in each of 6 cells remove cell covers and see if water covering plates. Some batteries are sealed so you can't check. They may have a circle window to look in to see if indicator is green. If low add distilled water in low cells to cover lead plates.

Love, Dad

·
Premium Member
9,741 Posts
Sounds good to me. This is how I would be teaching my daughter when that time comes.

One note, very minor. Check tire pressure when COLD. So she does not over inflate. Minor details.;)

Ciao!
Jason

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds good to me. This is how I would be teaching my daughter when that time comes.

One note, very minor. Check tire pressure when COLD. So she does not over inflate. Minor details.;)

Ciao!
Jason
Change made to checklist, thanks.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
And a little note that brake fluid will ruin your paint, so don't let it drip on the bodywork. A little story: I recently taught my mother how to check the oil on her Toyota, well she showed up one day with oil running down the grill. :rolleyes: I popped the hood and sure enough, she forgot to put the oil cap back on, but was luckily still sitting there on the valve cover. I had the pleasure of cleaning it up. :rolleyes: AND the pleasure of doing a timing belt job a few weeks later and had the pleasure of further cleaning, which of course added to the time it took to do the job. So, a little note to scan the engine compartment visually before closing the hood is a good idea, to check that all caps are in place before closing it up is a good idea, I do that myself everytime. ;)
Charles

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Hmm. Fill cold tires with cold air to spec pressure. Tires warm up during driving. Tire pressure RISES. Check tires when warm and find pressure high. Bleed down to spec. Then when tires are cold, pressure is lower. This leads me to believe that checking tire pressure when warm leads not to overinflation but undeinflation. Different hazards.

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay I suppose you need more detail?

Check and Adjust First Thing In The Morning. Set according to the vehicle manufacturer's cold tire pressure(s) recommended on the vehicle's tire placard or in its owner's manual (if running OE size wheels and tires, even then the tire pressures are close for 1-2 up sizes). This must be done before rising ambient temperatures, the sun's radiant heat or even driving short distances temporarily warms the tires.

Accommodating Variables

Indoor-to-outdoor Temperature Variation. Significant differences between the conditions tire pressures are set (the warmth of an attached garage, heated garage or service shop) and in which the vehicle will be driven (winter's subfreezing temperatures) requires inflating tires 1 psi higher than recommended on the placard for every 10° F difference in temperature between interior and exterior temperatures.

Afternoon Ambient Temperature Increase.* Set 2 psi above vehicle manufacturer's cold inflation recommendations when installing new tires or if the vehicle has been parked in the shade for a few hours.

Tire Heat Generated While Being Driven (or at speeds of less than 45 mph).* - Set 4 psi above vehicle manufacturer's cold inflation recommendations.

Heat Generated While Being Driven Extensively (or at sustained speeds greater than 45 mph).* Set 6 psi above vehicle manufacturer's cold inflation recommendations.

Do Not Release Hot Tire Pressure if any of these variables could be the cause of measured tire pressure exceeding the maximum psi branded on the tire's sidewall by the 2, 4 or 6 psi indicated above for the various conditions. This temporary pressure increase is expected and designed into the tire's capabilities.
OK, OK, TMI!

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To much to ask this early in the game, she is having hard enough time trying to master clutch so it is automatic for her now and just when I was getting used to slap shifting 3-2 down and 2-3 upshifting around town in heavy traffic.

Come on cool weather, I need to get back on Non-Quik Silver and see if I can get stepper motor assembly out without pulling dash. I have evaporator box out for complete a/c tune up and was able to remove that hard to get front stepper bracket screw from engine bay side of firewall. Now to get back two out. Think steppers are OK but keyed slot in drum for dash air is broken as I can move flap easy by hand with blower motor out. Do I need to read this too? http://www.digest.net/alfa/FAQ/164/p164_2.htm

·
Premium Member
9,741 Posts
OK, OK, TMI!
;) rattling on again huh! **** it! Sometimes my big mouth can get me in trouble. Guess that's the Italian in me! :p Sorry not savvy enough to know what TMI means? ? ? Anyways that was more directed to MR.T. I pita the fool.

·
Registered
8,770 Posts
Is Sara old enough to drive already? How time flies!!! I have great memories of our times in Florida. Give her our congradulations on graduation.....in a 164!!

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
TMI is short for too much information and Yes Dick, she has come of driving age already. Where does the time go? Long time since the 90s back in JAX.

·
Registered
8,770 Posts
Yea, Steve, be sure to tell her to get rid of the pine needles, and point out the liquid on top of the pistons isn't for fishing.

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Man that engine should be piece of cake to get running by sundown I say go for it.

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 20 of 27 Posts