Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 1990(?) Spider on an Internet Auction here in Japan. It came with no history, and the Alfa dealer has no records either. In order to ship it back to Canada this summer, I need proof of the vehicle's date of manufacture. The registration papers only state the date of first registration in Japan, (April, 1990). If anyone can suggest a way to trace the car's history - at least when it was built, it will be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

·
Premium Member
582 Posts
Contact Antonio Magro at archivio storica @Alfa Romeo.com. Send him an email inqiuiry in english with the Vehicle Indentification Number (VIN), he should be able to get you the manufacturing information. I've not tried this, but many on this BB have had very good response.
Good Luck
Wil Painter

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Wil's advice is indeed the good clue, but I'm afraid the email address isn't quite correctly spelt.

I have this as latest email for him:
[email protected], but I suggest you follow the 'regular' way: browse on the archivio storico site, register yourself (there's an english page), then select 'contact us' and 'consulenza sulla mia auto d'epoca ENGLISH' in the scroll window, then type the whereabouts of your car and your request.

They use to be quick and helpful.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Isn't there a build plate on the car ? Usually in the engine bay, but could be under the boot carpet, or even under a sill scuff plate.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies! I'll have a look through the car for a "build plate." As for Signore Magro in Italy, I came across his website a few days ago and sent him a request for info. Maybe I should give him more time to reply... Thanks again!

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
I've got a manufacture quality inspection sticker on the right inner fender near the wiper resevior bag and AC fan relays that give month and year of manufacture. (silver and about as wide as a strip of masking tape)

If you're lucky, you might too.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Try looking in the owners handbook. It should describe where all the chassis markings are located (VIN).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Still searching for Build Date

Thank you very much for your replies. I did receive an answer from Mr. Magro in Italy and it does sound like my car:

[ With reference to your request we are informing you as follows.

According to our documentation files, the chassis number 11541006002660 originally corresponds to an Alfa Romeo Spider 2.0 I.E. Quadrifoglio Verde model year 90, manufactured on the 17th October 1989 and sold on the 25th December 1989 in Japan.

The body colour is metallic silver (AR 767), with grey leather interiors.

Yours, Sincerely,

Automobilismo Storico Alfa Romeo
Archivio Storico
Antonio Magro

However, he has changed two zeros in the VIN to "41" (highlighted). I have asked him why.
In your photo, your ID plate is much like the one I have on my door well. The labeled info is is the "Chassis No." and "Stock No." But, the info has been worn (scraped?)off - I can't read it at all. Do you think the stock number might have included the date of manufacture?
I can't find any "quality inspection sticker" as another described, Nor did a handbook come with the car. There are a couple of rectangular glue splotches on the floor of ther trunk next to the spare. I wonder if that was where some info could have been attached? I"ll have to take off the sill scuff plate next...

Does anyone know if Alfa Romeo company itself might supply an official document, verifying the age of the car, (I 'd like to ship it to Canada asap - for Canada Customs)? Is there a way to contact Alfa - I can't find a website where I can do this.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Just thinking aloud:
Is it possible you have supplied Magro with a spare part number? These numbers are stamped on a lot of stuff in your car and could easily start with "115.00.nnn.nnn..."

The chassis number is often stamped on the firewall between the engine bay and the ****pit.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Yes, the chassis number should be stamped into sheetmetal not merely onto an easily removeable plate. It probably does not include the first 5 digits as these are chassis type designators.

The first three digits denote the chassis type (105/115/116/119 etc) and the next two show other stuff, usually related to destination country and RHD/LHD etc.

The last digits are a UNIQUE number. So, the factory would know that number 006002660 chassis, was a 115, and their records will show other defining information which leads them to the 41 designation.

There will not be two 115s, and probably no other Alfa of any chassis type, with a number 006002660.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A silly question - do "alfaromeo.com" and Mr Magro actually represent the Alfa Romeo company. I thought perhaps he was just a very helpful man interested in these cars and had access to info there in Italy. But, if he is part of the company, I wonder if he would be able to supply an official document stating the build date of my Spider.

By the way, the vehicle ID number is indeed clearly stamped into the firewall and matches the number on the registration papers. I just can't find a build date anywhere. Without that I don't know how I'll convince Canada Customs that the car is at least the required 15 years of age.

Thanks for the story on how the chassis numbers work!

·
Registered
665 Posts
I should think your correspondence with Antonio Magro should suffice. Please note his signature:
Automobilismo Storico Alfa Romeo
Archivio Storico

It doesn't get much more official.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Proof of date - Done!

I just got off the phone with the customs broker in Canada. She told me that Sig. Magro's e-mail, identifying the build date of my Spider, will satisfy Canada Customs.
Seems I'm on my way...
I'll have a lot of work to do on the car, so I'm sure I'll be checking in again...
Thank you all very much for your input!

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Magro does indeed work for Alfa... I couldn't remember his name when I was in Arese a few weeks ago at the Alfa Museum or else I would have looked him up. The archives are in a building across the street from the museum.

To gtv2000: where is the English version of the Archivio Storico website? I have wanted to register for a while, but I can't figure out the English version... thanks! What's beyond the registration page?

·
Registered
665 Posts
I don't know if their is one in English.

I used the Ialian one and picked a city in Italy (to be from) to let the registration go through.

If in doubt, use this this site to help

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
RedSpider: Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a shot. My Italian is limited to words associated with Alfas! Veloce, Quadrifoglio... those are words I can translate!

What is there to do on the site after you've registered?

·
Registered
665 Posts
I just filled in the form and it registered me.
Keep yourself in Italy except for the e-mail (obviously)

You can check a couple of boxes for e-mail notices, etc.

Been a long time.
I just open two windows: one for the site and the other for Babelfish. I cut and past my way through stuff.

Kind of fun to get factory stuff in Italian in the e-mail.

Good Luck and have some fun with it

·
Registered
10,010 Posts
Hooligan said:
Where is the English version of the Archivio Storico website? I have wanted to register for a while, but I can't figure out the English version... thanks! What's beyond the registration page?
On the home page of http://www.archiviostorico.alfaromeo.it is a hidden link under the word ENGLISH (near the top of the page, next to the round Alfa logo) that switches part of the web site to English.

Once you log in, you can manage your personal profile (password and newsletter settings) and send requests to Alfa. The hoaky thing about the web site is that these menues are partially in Italian -- even on the English parts of the web site. For instance, the "Send Request" menu option leads to a page with the title "Desidero contattarvi per:" (which loosely translates to "I wish to contact you for:"), followed by menu options similar to this example: <SELECT name="TIPO-RICHIESTA" style="width:220px;" class="formDxBold" >
<option value="" Selected >Select</option><option value="Informazioni">Informazioni e curiosità  ENGLISH</option><option value="Consulenza">Consulenza sulla mia auto d'epoca ENGLISH</option><option value="Appuntamento">Richiedere un appuntamento ENGLISH</option></SELECT>. If you click on the drop-down box, you see a problem with web design consistency. I don't understand why the designers chose these labels to be in Italian instead of English.
FWIW, the options translate as follows:
  • Informazioni e curiosità --> Information and curiosity (i.e. the newsletter subscription).
  • Consulenza sulla mia auto d'epoca --> Consultation about my classic car (asking for model, year and chassis number).
  • Richiedere un appuntamento --> Request an appointment (asking for reason and preferred date and time).
Depending on the selection and session state, you may be led to an English page (success) or Italian page (errors or login request).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.