Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, does anyone know if the 105 coupes were ever fitted with a dashboard clock? Mine has not got one and I would like one, if anyone knows where you can get these it would be much appreciated.

I have had a look at http://www.autochron.co.uk/, they sell lots of clocks for dashboards, including some nice ones from Russian fighter planes! But I think I would prefer something more original for an Alfa.

Thanks,
Baz

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
My 73 GTV 2000 has one. I'm not quite sure if it's a factory option or not, but it is made by Jaeger and illuminated together with other instruments.

I will get some picture of it tomorrow and post it up.

Unfortunately, the clock itself is not working right now. :(

Baz said:
Hi, does anyone know if the 105 coupes were ever fitted with a dashboard clock? Mine has not got one and I would like one, if anyone knows where you can get these it would be much appreciated.

I have had a look at http://www.autochron.co.uk/, they sell lots of clocks for dashboards, including some nice ones from Russian fighter planes! But I think I would prefer something more original for an Alfa.

Thanks,
Baz

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Sorry

Haha!! Sorry for the late reply.
It was raining the last two days, don't want to take off the cover off the GTV.

Anyway, here is the picture.

It's made by Jaeger and even has an Alfa logo on it.
It is tilted a little bit, so the face is faced towards the driver on the LH side.

---
It's not running though. Anybody has any idea how can I take it off? or even fixing it?
I read somewhere some old car clocks are electrically winded, is it the same case on this one? How can I wind it?

Thank YOU!!! :D :D

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Clock

Thanks, never seen one before. Looks good! Hope you get it working. Might be worth popping you head under the dash to see if there are any wires attached to it.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Hey Heimeng,

I surmise that you've got a factory option clock there. Pretty cool. I would imagine that it's held on the dash like the other small gauges. There should be two bolts coming out of the back of the gauge, a bracket that spans the bolts and then two nuts holding it all down. I'm sure it'll take some work to get to the back of the clock though. As Bas suggested, maybe you can feel around back there for any loose wiring first.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Respectfully, I don't think it was a factory option. I've never seen one on a 115 GTV before, nor have I seen one in any period photos. FWIW, the 1973 US sales brochure I have doesn't mention one, nor does the owner's manual for my '73. That and it doesn't fit the rest of the interior design of a 115.01. To me it looks like someone either made it from an Alfa clock from a different model that they fitted to a Spider gauge ring or it came from some other model. It is interesting though...

Ciao,

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
It looks like to me it came off from a Spider or something else too. My gauges are grey while the clock is in BLACK.

It kind of looks nice though, I'm going to keep it on my dash. :D

·
Supporting Vendor
4,421 Posts
Of course you are going to keep it on your dash. If you didn't, you'd have a big stinkin' hole in there!

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
:D

Maybe I can put a HEUER dash clock up there and cover up the hole!
Only if I have the money. :D

JoeCab said:
Of course you are going to keep it on your dash. If you didn't, you'd have a big stinkin' hole in there!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Don't know yet, I still quite like this clock that came out of a russian MIG fighter jet, looks the business and does not need any wiring - not exactly Alfa factory spec! See picture. What do you think?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
It looks awesome!!

Baz said:
Don't know yet, I still quite like this clock that came out of a russian MIG fighter jet, looks the business and does not need any wiring - not exactly Alfa factory spec! See picture. What do you think?

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Dash timer/clock

Hello . As a watch maker I can tell you,
The mig timer you picked is a nice timer. and it can take more Gs than any car car make. so thats good in a car clock.
My concern for you is this timer is larger than any were on your dash,(85 to90mm) but you can mount it under dash maybe in a nice carbin fiber bord form Tap plastic. the timer you have has a B on the dial that means it will glow in the dark. most of them have no B and only work with the red dash lights in the airplane.
These timers have a wounderful history. thay were copied from the REAL La Coultre timers you see on the old pre war GP cars.
Thay were copied from a downed plane before the war(WW2)
Thay are made in Saberia at the Molnija plant.
If you want to save wait to be faster, you can take the back cover off and take out the little heater in there that works off 24 Volts. You will never use it and do not need it. It gets cold in a Mig at speed.. If you do not use it on your car buy it anyways and enjoy a remakable machine. It time s hours flight time or travel time Lap times. Just do not set it at speed you will miss your braking point.
Enjoy
Peter

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi Peter,

Thanks for the background on the clock - very informative, I'll order it today! I have got the dimensions and it should fit nicely on the centre console above the gearstick, I'll post a picture when I have installed it.

Baz

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
timer/clock

I am TGlad that was of help.
I wanted to tell you to do a search on Ebay for one, there are sellers from Russia and you can find them from $70.00 to $325.00, Yes its crazy. I am in the world of watchs, and am amazed when I see seller at our privit sales asking over $200.00 U.S.
Enjoy
Peter
Ps tyr and get one that looks as good as the one in photo.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi Peter,

Managed to get the clock and have just installed it on the console (see picture).

The clock seems in good condition and is very accurate, also good laptime counters included for trackdays. I have not hooked up the internal heater as I don't think I'll be taking it in the air yet (at least not all 4 wheels at the same time!).

Thanks for the help,
Baz:)

Attachments

·
Supporting Vendor
4,421 Posts
Baz, that is a very awesome install. I think you picked a great location for it.

I saw these vintage chronometers this weekend in Richard Ballantine's TZ. Previously, they were in his GTA. I was very impressed, they really looked right in the TZ.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks JoeCab, wow those look great!

Glad to see someone liked it! Quite a few people on this BB seemed to think it was a very bad idea.

Cheers,
Baz

1 - 20 of 50 Posts