Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1974 GTV 2000, 1971 Spider 1750
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have spent about 3 hours working to get the little retaining wires in place. No success. Is there a technique or secret process? Simple, little task but I need help. Thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Attached are photos showing the back of the vent cover with the retaining wire and the recess. The wire goes in the hole marked and one on the opposing side. But how? I fiddled using a variety of tools but could not get the wire in the holes. Then I disassembled the recess parts, put the unit together with the cover in place tried to press the completed unit into the dash. It flew apart. Any help, please.
Tableware Automotive tire Automotive design Rim Wheel
Automotive tire Home appliance Camera accessory Fixture Automotive design

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi Keith, loll yes me too it's a pain in :mad:...but in the steel wire I flip it so the little bender is upright so it's easy to insert it, I use a small screwdriver flat...and lots a patience;)
let me know
ciao

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mike, thanks for your reply. It may be a long afternoon. Probably you have seen this, but... Organism Font Music Art Illustration

·
But Mad North-Northwest
13,102 Posts
Get the first one in, then small screwdriver or hemostats through the slats to install the second.

·
Premium Member
7,074 Posts
What I do is a piece of flat stock , maybe .050 thick and .200 wide, drill a hole in it at the end, and add a slot to the hole. Engage the end of the spring wire, push/pull/ guide it in, do the same for the other side. It’s super easy with the fabricated tool

Reactions: John Milone

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Success! For a tool I used a 3/16 dowel with a slit cut in the end. Worked well but patience reqiured. Thanks for the advice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts