Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to fix the heater in my car, the heater box is full of leaves, and the heater blower no longer functions. Im not sure what else is wrong, but those things will have to be fixed for sure. I think someone posted a link to a source for new heater blower motors that fit, but i couldnt find the post when i searched for it. Does anyone have a source for new heater blower motors? Also, does anyone have instructions/pictures for removing the dashboard?

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,654 Posts
No need to pull the dash: you can get to it from the driver's footwell. Click on the link below then on "Heater and Ventilation Tips".

The Alfa 75 / Milano Resource

If you're lucky the motor might just be seized up, in which case you can try lubing it and freeing it up once it's out.

Some additional tips:

1) Use a plastic fork to reach way up inside once you get the motor out: you'll probably pull a ton of crap out of there.

2) Be sure to remove the little panel with the resistors (IIRC it's a brown piece where the three electrical plugs connect to the heater box in the driver's footwell). Don't want to snap those when you're poking around in there pulling leaves out

3) Build a screen covering for the intake duct under the front cowl so you don't have to do this again

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm, so the person who found a source for a new heater blower isnt on the board anymore? Someone had found a source for new ones, but the search doesnt work well enough to find the post I guess.

·
Registered
707 Posts
After removing the motor blower, I used a piece of tubing to reach up into the box and then used my compressor with a blow gun to the end of the tubing to blow out all the remains. It's amazing how much crap stays up in the box that you can't reach. Compressed air takes care of it.

Not sure about the motor. I have several that are seized up and am on my last good one. Sure hope someone speaks up before this one dies!!

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There was a post on here where someone had found a place to buy just the motor, but the post seems to have vanished. I was hoping that maybe whoever had originally posted it would reply. Using compressed air to help clean it out is a good idea, I really dont want to have to pull the dash just for that.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
The euro 75s have a twin blade system. I wonder if this only for the later cars (90's and later?). The Milano's blower is quite pathetic.

Also, I found that the connection at the fan speed switch very touchy. I think it's possible in some cars the contacts are too oxidized or the wires are a little too tight and causing the connection to be loose..

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Im sure that at least the blower motor is bad in mine, thats not to say there arent other problems.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Hi Travis...

Just in case you get stuck, I've got the instructions on how to pull the dash... Would you like it in English or Dutch... Dutch is much more fun... endless laughs trying to figure out what the hell steckerverbindigen (sp?) means... but it's all I had the first time I did it!

Let me know if you need a copy... Or you could just plug into Craig's site...

Cheers

Mike

·
Premium Member
14,240 Posts
I had a Milano heater blower stop due to a bad ground. My method of testing blowers, window motors, etc, is to hook a 12 battery directly to the motor terminals.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,654 Posts
Hi Travis...

Just in case you get stuck, I've got the instructions on how to pull the dash... Would you like it in English or Dutch... Dutch is much more fun... endless laughs trying to figure out what the hell steckerverbindigen (sp?) means... but it's all I had the first time I did it!

Let me know if you need a copy... Or you could just plug into Craig's site...
Now be careful, here. The US cars only have the single cage blower. This can come out through the footwell and does not require removing the whole dash. Non-US cars have the double-cage blower which is a different procedure (and more of a chore) to remove.

The link I posted above has instructions for how to remove the motor from a US car. It's not too bad of a job and does not require any dash removal - you just slide the center console back a little and you're good.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got the heater blower out, and all the leaves out, but I discovered another problem. It doesnt appear that the stupid plastic peice that the blower motor is hose clamped to was designed to survive 20+ years, so they are all in peices. So I think thats the end of my working on that project, I dont have the ability to fabricate a replacement peice.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Going to update this discussion.

Cleaning the interior of the Milano and have the seats out.
I like to tackle the noisy blower motor /leaf debris issue.

Been reading up on this and think I got the proceedure.

The Alfa 75 / Milano Resource is unavailable.

I have some questions.

What is the hose that is in front of the blower motor acess "hat" and what is the function of the screw / detachable cable to the dash side ot the cover? Can these be removed without too much drama?

Not sure which three screws. Just see two and one nearest with the clip.

Thanks for any assistance.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Well I guess I will answer my own questions.

Hose is a drain and easlily removed no drama
Top hat came off with three screws and the collar after removing the hose clamp comes off with three screws.
Tip on removing the motor and fan is to push over to the passenger side the remove the collar then then the motor and fan.
Have fun blowing and vacumming out the leaves. I had a half a cup of them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts