Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If you want to see what all is under the dash, and a giant mess in the process, read on.

Object of the project is to replace many things;

Cowl drain hoses - coming from Di Fatta Brothers
Shifter items - new flex rubber boots (inner and outer)
leather shift boot
install chrome plated shifter leaver
Hand Brake items - install chrome plated hand brake lever
new leather hand brake boot
Exchange very cracked dash board with better one which has dash cap hard
shell installed
Install new radio and speaker system
Install chrome plated carpet hold downs at the knee bolster and along the
door sills
Replace the golve box liner and door with better of same
Replace whatever of the console pieces and adjustable vents with better of
same
Add a fuse box cover
Replace defective speedo instrument
replace defective temp gauge
Get everything in and on there working 100%

I added a couple of photos to show location of cowl drain hoses attached to the cowl drain box.

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
Dash out - identical mess

Gee, for a second I thought someone was taking pictures over my shoulder, but I guess some of the tools are different...

Fun job, no where near as bad as it looks. Got in a heater valve and drain hoses, and fixed the heater fan.

T

Attachments

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Dejuvos all over again. Right, nothing like a carpenter's hammer for doing fine mechanical work! I forgot about a new heater valve, this would definately be the time to replace that. When I forget how to put it all back together I will call you.
Robert

·
Premium Member
2,816 Posts
...and the red carpet does a dandy job of hiding the blood. :D

·
Registered
9,402 Posts
I would remove the heater matrix itself too (while you are in there) and give it a darn good flush/reverse flush. Also check the fan motor, inspect and put loads of oil on the little stinky bearing that always squeaks before giving up the ghost:)

·
Premium Member
2,816 Posts
And clean all the grounds........

·
Registered
274 Posts
What grounds are under the dash?

Does the dash need to come out in order to put a replacement cap on it?

Thank you!

·
Registered
194 Posts
I had to cover my eyes...the part about putting everything back and having it work 100% has always been the challenge to me...Post again and let us know how it turned out...Maybe an 'after' pic...

·
Registered
274 Posts
Saar,

Wow!

I certainly hope I dont have to go that far. As it is I am snapping pics like mad making sure I can remember how everything goes back in.

Knowing my luck I will run on the heater and the windows will go down instead:)

·
Registered
274 Posts
I am glad you posted those pics though!

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
A few tidbits for you guys:

A pencil eraser is just right for cleaning oxides off switch contacts and wiring blades.

A good electronics store will have electrically conductive grease; use it on every connection.

Copper wire hardens a little every time you bend it. Minimize this or you will have strands breaking inside what looks like good wires.

Robert

·
Registered
78 Posts
Here's my point of no return. Thankfully I had a friend who helped me put it all back together again and make some sense of the wiring.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Yikes- memories flashing back from when I removed dash 2 times- once to redo ac, then to redo heater valve. Hope to never do that again.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Dejuvos all over again. Right, nothing like a carpenter's hammer for doing fine mechanical work!
Robert
My old dad's philosophy of life... "Bigger problem... bigger hammer." :)

·
Premium Member
1,637 Posts
can I join the club?

Some people say that pulling the consoles is the worst part of this job, but I think removing the one-piece Enbloc knee bolster is the real PITA, since you have to unfasten the fuse box, hood release lever, AC unit, etc. and then jockey that plastic flapper around the ignition switch.

My wife wonders if it will ever run again....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,816 Posts
Think about how nice it will be when it's done.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Thanks for posting, but I should have never looked at this thread. Now I am even less motivated to pull the dash.:)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts