Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 79 Spider. My speedo and tach guages are so dimly lit, that I can hardly see them at night. The bulbs are bright and in good position. Is there anything anyone on the site that has a solution to this??

Much obliged....

Rusty

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hello,
here is my solution I made last Sunday;
For tachometer:
1. cut 5 or 6 mm of the bulb holder. It allows you to fix a bulb deeper.
2. change two 3W bulbs to 5W bulbs

For speedo:
just change two 3W bulbs to H5W.

no expensive mods with good result.

Ratcat

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
I have a good friend with a '69 Spider that scored 99.6 points at the most recent National Concours, and that car has always been well cared for (he's the original owner) even though he does drive it. Needles to say, he's a meticulous person, and his instruments are as bright as any new modern car. I asked him about his instruments and he explained that the original bulbs will and do become dimmer with time. He also explained that there is no need to do anything special - just replace the existing bulbs with modern ones, and clean the lenses. He actually contacted Sylvania, and got the correct replacements for all the instrument bulbs. Modern bulbs are much, much, better than what came with the car, and he's not expecting to have to replace them again.

Best regards,

·
Registered
380 Posts
I would try these suggestions. They may be sufficient.

I had little luck with the brighter bulbs. Depends on what condition the interior of your instrument cans is in for reflective lighting. I had to go all the way to 20 watt halogens to get it bright enough. These made the exterior glass and chrome bezel too hot to touch. Ratcat is right though about getting the light source further into the case. The 20 watt bulbs were tubular shaped and stuck well inside. All this is how I ended up with an LED source (cool) completely inside the can.
The small gauges have little room to have anything protrude further into the case though.

Jeff

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
...Donsbulbs.com has them. 19 in stock, I bought 4
Good info! When you install them, please post an update about how well they do or do work, and the fit.

Best regards,

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will be glad to, however, I am in Florida now for the winter and my car is in NY. May is the earliest I will have the opportunity to try them.

Rusty

Best regards,[/QUOTE

1 - 10 of 10 Posts