·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Turns-out I didn't have to bypass the dimmer switch.
000_0028.jpg
I removed the four screws that hold the instrument binnacle in the dash, and could see the rheostat right there. Spray down with electronic cleaner while turning dimmer knob right and left (rag was to protect from back-spray). Turn-on marker lamps and voila! they came on! Unfortunately, they don't stay on when turned all the way clockwise (full bright), but do come on at about 10:00-11:00 position. I can deal with that... Wires going to dimmer were black.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Could be corrosion on the windings/contact at the full bright position. Try turning it back and forth around the non operative position to see if it cleans it up.
I was tired of having trouble seeing the Speedo needle at night (home- made aluminium replacement needle) so replaced the original globes with green LED T5 wedge replacements in the Speedo & Tacho. Geez it’s bright. Got used to it after about a month. The LEDs don’t dim until the dimmer is almost off (dimmest) then they go out completely.

AL.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
That's very generous, but after pulling into the underground garage at work this morning, I increased the brightness and it stayed on.
Tach lights fixed.JPG
I do need to replace a couple of the itty bitty bulbs that twist into the PCB on the left side of the tacho. Speedo no worky, needle melted over and touching face of gauge (just jammed, I'm hoping). Tacho needle melted to the point of breaking in half - small projects to fix lower on the totem pole...

·
Registered
149 Posts
Don't have it, it was thrown out,it's the one sits in the steering column, only does one or two light on the console (I think the light over the heater lever faceplate). Any help appreciated.
-Clay

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
LED's don't respond well to dimmer, but out of curiosity yepez, where did you get them?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts