Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have just bought a 1977 Spider Veloce 2000. The dashboard lights remain on after ignition is turned off - draining the battery after a couple of days. The loom looks as if it has been recently replaced. Anyone had a similar problem, or has an idea how to fix this problem?

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
Is there a switch on the console or a twist of your column stalk? consult your owners manual is my advice... If it continues and you are driving in daylight, pull #5 fuse .until you find the problem with a schematic.. other ancillary yet critical safety lights might too be effected by pulling that fuse so check your brake lights and signals before driving on. This is just a gut call.. lastly what the the PO say?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No owner's manual unfortunately! Many thanks. Middle switch at bottom of the console obviously controls the dash lights.

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
No owner's manual unfortunately! Many thanks. Middle switch at bottom of the console obviously controls the dash lights.
Another thing to check is WHICH dash board lights.. Tach & Speedo ? small cluster with fuel level temp and oil pressure? and console?.. Some might be out when you turn off the car .. some on... which ones are ON specifically.?. ( turn up the dimmer rheostat to bright in a dark garage)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tach and speedo, fuel, oil pressure and engine temperature were staying on; but flicking the middle switch on the console has turned them off. Is that what you call the dimmer rheostat?

·
Premium Member
1,539 Posts
On my 67 GTV you can disable the instrument lights with a dash switch (like you are doing), but they won’t actually be enabled without the headlights or park lights being switched on, suggesting you do have an anomaly there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
On my 67 GTV you can disable the instrument lights with a dash switch (like you are doing), but they won’t actually be enabled without the headlights or park lights being switched on, suggesting you do have an anomaly there.
Correction! My wife has just told me she noticed the dash lights were on when she arrived back in the dark.So all I did was dim the lights...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The two way switch just dims the lights rather than disables them - unfortunately.

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
The stalk (not the little one for turn signals) for your head lights twists like a modern car does for wipers . It might be on. It has two detents on the twist.. one for parking lights and then continuing on the headlights.. Both will illuminate the dash lights.

·
Super Moderator
11,775 Posts
The loom looks as if it has been recently replaced.
If someone has re-wired this car, then anything is possible. I think it's just going to take some time with a voltmeter tracing the PO's screw-ups - hopefully, this is the only one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts