Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I'm having a bit of a "fitment issue" with my IAP dash cap. It's as if the dash cap is too small... See below:









and so on...

With some creative pressure points I can get it "almost, but not quite" into position, but the force required has me doubting that the adhesive will be able to hold it there long...

it ALMOST looks like if I rip off the dash leather and padding that this would fit, but I was too scared to pull the trigger on that idea (there wouldn't be much going back from that if it didn't work).

If someone has done one of these before, what are your thoughts?

Thanks!
-Bill
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
17,066 Posts
Were there no instructions? (yeah, real men don't need no stinkin' instructions...)

I did one on an MGB. It did require removing the old covering.

I did the truck bed liner repair on our GTV6. So far so good. It's not concours perfect but it looks very good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
yeah, there were instructions. They just said to "clean the dash" etc before installing. I took that to mean the original covering was supposed to stay in place. But the fitment issue had me raising questions...

I'm curious to know more about this "bedliner repair". Is it as self explanatory as it sounds?

Good times!
-Bill

Ninja edit: I just saw you included a link. I was looking at that thread yesterday! Unfortunately the link in that thread titled "Great Dash Repair for $30" (http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/car-restoration/15792-great-dash-repair-under-30-00-a.html) had a link to a product or a site that didn't exist anymore. I had no idea you were using bedliner! That looks awesome!
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
17,066 Posts
There was a thread about the bed liner repair but I think most of those photos are MIA.

Basically, remove any loose material, fill gouges & cracks with a 2-part material designed for flexible bumper repair. Sand smooth then spray on a few coats of pick up truck bed liner material.

If I were to do it again, I'd consider taking the repaired (filled & sanded) dash to a place that sprays the truck bed liner stuff rather than use the DIY spray cans. I think they might be able to get a better finish than the spray cans provide.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,195 Posts
I cut the cap below the "lip" right above the side round vents and glove box lid, and tossed the bottom half. In my opinion, it should have been a "half-cover" just like the ones for 105/115 coupes and Spiders.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That might solve a lot of my problems. I'd still have the gauge pod to navigate (I think the sides would want to poke outboard) but I bet the pressure required to clamp it in place would be reduced enough that I could feel confident using the adhesive.

Do you have pictures of your install?

Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
363 Posts
I installed mine quite a few years ago but as I remember it fit better than that. I only glued around the perimeter and used ~12 clamps. The only issue I had was that I had to fabricate a new, longer catch for the glove box to close.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,890 Posts
They are a job to fit right.
I have done more than a dozen, some fit better than others, but all required a fair amount of force to mate to the old dash. Cutting away any cracks that protrude, grinding away the corners and edges of the old dash, grinding away the area around the defroster vents helps a lot. The fit around the glove box door is critical too, you need to remove the rivets that hold the bottom front lip of the glovebox to fit the cap under, in a lot of cases it is much easier to trim the cap in that area. It can be very hard to make the glove box door fit and shut properly unless you put a lot of attention to the fit in that area.
Once all the trimming is done, you need a LOT of clamps and strips of wood[paint stir sticks work great] to hold it on tight and keep the edges flat.
Yes, a lot of work, but it can look like a new dash and last if done right.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,890 Posts
I forgot to mention the fit in the defrost holes is also critical, or the swiveling defrost vents will not 'click' into place properly and will keep popping out, sometimes at inopportune times. Same with the "eyeball" dash vents. You really need to fit, trim, glue and clamp well in those areas.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
****! I should have called you before I ordered the cover!

Based on your post I'm thinking I might try the bumper-filler and bed-liner method first. If I'm unhappy with the finish I can always try cutting away to get the cap to fit.

Thanks for the help. That stir-stick idea is genius!

(And I just looked in you signature. If you're having any trouble finding homes for all those Alfa's, send a couple my way. No need to pay me, I do it for the children :) )
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top