Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
How big of job is it to pull thedash in a 78 Spider? Any tip's in doing so?
Turns out not to be to bad of a job. couple of hours. two bolts each side two wing nuts in the middle, slack the spedo and tach cable, remove or loosen the screw at the bottom of the speedo and tach, unscrew retaining nuts on speedo and tach, unplug all wiring harnesses and thats pretty much it. Now it's out. Oh forgot the heater vent hoses, don't forget that.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Turns out not to be to bad of a job. couple of hours. two bolts each side two wing nuts in the middle, slack the spedo and tach cable, remove or loosen the screw at the bottom of the speedo and tach, unscrew retaining nuts on speedo and tach, unplug all wiring harnesses and thats pretty much it. Now it's out. Oh forgot the heater vent hoses, don't forget that.
Amazing what a couple of cans of spray on bed liner, rubber bumper repair epoxy, sand paper and a can of vinyl paint will do for a dash board. About 50 bucks and 5 hours plus drying time.

Attachments

·
Registered
184 Posts
How bad were the cracks on the dash?
Did you just sand them level and fill in with the Epoxy?
Do ya think that your method would work for the cracks in my dash?
The pictures of your after the install look great...

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
How bad were the cracks on the dash?
Did you just sand them level and fill in with the Epoxy?
Do ya think that your method would work for the cracks in my dash?
The pictures of your after the install look great...
I had more of them and they were at least as bad as yours.

Further than sanding I knocked off any loose raised material in and around the crack right down to the frame of the dash making the edges of the crack even as possible with the top. I then filled the cracks with expanding spray foam, careful it's kind of messy. After letting dry for at least an hour I cut off the excess with a razor blade then step sanded the whole dash, after cleaning all grease, dirt and waxes off with acetone. Then take the spray foam just a little below the surface of the dash make sure to get all dust and loose bits cleaned.

You then apply the rubber fill epoxy to the crack areas and any uneven places level. Step sand and paint with bed liner. Tip: try keep all painting surfaces vertical to the sprayer this will help prevent larger lumps in the job, keep spray tip clean as well. The bed liner provides the texture.

After this step sand again a check for any remaining areas from the cracks showing through, re-level ,and sand. The drying time for this epoxy was 30 minutes before sanding.

One more coat of bed liner let dry sand if you like, I did not, then paint with vinyl paint let dry then one more coat of bed liner. Let set over night, your done. Akitaman, from Whom I obtained the idea, has a post with pic's from august 2005.

By the way don't try any other epoxy than the rubber bumper repair you wont like the results. Trust me on this one I had to get the rubber fill at the auto paint shop the rest at any local parts store

Remember paint mask ventilation and gloves.

Attachments

·
Registered
274 Posts
I am inspired!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts