Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 281 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A guitar forum I belong to has an ongoing "Darwin Awards" thread devoted to examples of what were once nice vintage guitars modified in tasteless, inappropriate, or ham-fisted ways. I haven't found a corresponding thread on this forum. Maybe there should be one here for Alfas.

Here's a candidate that's on e-bay. I wonder what this Alfetta did to deserve this treatment. Other photos here:Alfa Romeo : Alfetta GT | eBay

I'm sure you guys must have some examples that can outdo this one.......

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
There's always the 1958 Juliet Spider Velosh with its Chevy 350 engine and Toyota suspension. :confused:

In his eBay ad he wrote "if you are a Alfa guru don't waste my time e-mailing me telling me how I ruined an amazing vehicle." The listing ended with 3 bids - the highest being $1136 and no one selecting the Buy-it-Now of $2700.

I hope someone filled him in on what the car would be worth had he not hacked it to death!:mad:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Whilst I don't think it will be possible to beat ShadeTree's contribution.. :eek: (nothing wrong with sb chevs, but they do not belong in beautiful old Alfa Spiders. It will take a lot of work to undo all the damage done there..) There are a few threads in the engine conversion section that belong here, and this is the first one that comes to mind LINK

It can be bad enough that someone chops up transmission tunnels etc to fit an alternative engine, but I'm totally lost when they also decide they can "improve" the aesthetics of a timeless classic like the 105 coupe, exterior & interior.. :rolleyes::(

As an aside, I really don't see the point of transplanting a turbo 4 cylinder engine from another manufacturer into an old 105, given that the original Alfa twincam can make some serious power when boosted, more than enough to trash the standard driveline, and probably well beyond the sensible limits of the chassis itself. I acknowledge that a Nissan, or Toyota engine has more ultimate power potential, but I see it as somewhat redundant.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I noticed that one too. The most ridiculous part to me is those seats. Those meet the inappropriate criterion pretty well. The body work mods look like they were done well from a technical point of view so not a hack job. Whether they are tasteful or not is certainly debatable. I think I would have to actually see the car in the metal to decide for myself.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Remember Top Gear's Saab/Alfa limo? James May's part Saab 9000, part Alfa Romeo 164 - aptly named the "Salfa Romeaab".
I think the difference between this, and the other cars in this thread, is the Top Gear crew were quite deliberately making a monstrosity. Barbie's Spider on the other hand....

1 - 20 of 281 Posts