Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Landed back in Seattle after being in Cali for the weekend. Walk up to my car, and I see its got fogged up windows along with droplets from the previous rainfall. I open it and I see the tell tale signs. I gotta fix this ASAP. My mechanic in LA cleared the Sunroof drains, so the leak that ruined my sunroof motor was fixed, and I didnt realize that I actually had 2 leaks. I've been here in Seattle for over a month with several weeks of rainfall and no leak, but today, different story. here are some pics.

Theres a seal that kind of acts like a rain gutter/rail at the top of the door frame and noticed it was gunked up so I cleaned all of the dirt that was in there, Mind you I just got back from LA and its 0150hrs. What do you guys think?:helpsmilie:

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
What's the headliner like? Is it wet up there anywhere? Alpaca Mike has a leak in his non sun roof car in the same area. We're thinking it's in the corner of the windshield, but nit sure.

·
Premium Member
27,013 Posts
I would be suspect of sun roof drain tubing behind A-pillar moulding cracked or disconnected especially if he cleaned the drains for you.

It is pretty easy to remove moulding by removing hand hold mounting screws and popping moulding off the pins along side of windshield.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks I'm going to go outside to remove the moulding today. Here's a couple of pics of the windshield moulding at the bottom corners. Should I silicone them?

Drivers side with no leak.

Passenger side that leaks.

·
Premium Member
27,013 Posts
I was talking about inside A-pillar moulding and sun roof drain line issue.

This could be a whole new problem you have. I hope you don't have chassis structual body rot along base of windshield. These mouldings are not removable per say with windshield installed. The rubber seal is slide into shiny metal trim piece. I agree you probably should trim the jagged edges of that rubber trim and then caulk with some black RTV to reconstruct if possible.

You need to open hood, remove plastic cover over top of a/c unit and try to inspect back in corner behind hood hinge to look for rusted hole into ****pit.

Then, report your findings

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Its a California car with zero rust and very little water exposure. You were very clar about the A pillar moulding which what I'm about to pull, I just posted those pics of the windshield frame to cover all bases. Thanks !
Richard, no wet headliner.

·
Premium Member
15,886 Posts
Don't forget to lube those hood hinges regularly, as some have had them seize and break. I regularly use 3 in 1 oil, but I'm sure motor oil would work well.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, sunroof drain checks out as OK. Plus the headliner wasn't wet this time.

So I double checked a lot of things, then noticed the seal right above the screwdriver tip, was not hooked on to the rail where its suppose to be. And I notice the triangulat seal below, was starting to loose adhesion due to the moisture it was collecting. I think water was running in between the triangle seal and the frame, which would automatically dump water into the cabin. That seal should be tucked under the seal that's above it. Geez, I hope that was it. Sure looks like that would cause a leak. I'll report as soon as it rains again.

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
tounge firm in cheek - you cant use garden hoses in Ca. anymore? ciao, jc

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Lol! There's a drought in Cali so I wouldn't use the hose, but funny things is I'm in Washington, and I tried to use the hose, but it was frozen, I laughed! Also, it needs a constant flow of water, like Seattle Rain.
Location fixed.

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
yea, looking at your foto, the triangular seal foamy thingy needs to be elastic as well and all that "junction" of rubber in that area could invite seepage. I dont have a sunroof (or a radio or A/C or electric anything) so can't provide much except the obligatory hard time and usless commentary. Hope that solves it tho. ciao, chris

1 - 11 of 11 Posts