Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all -
I replaced my clutch fluid in June and am now noticing it turning dark - not black but visibly darker than clear.
I did some roamin' around on the internet and found (of course) posts in both directions; some say the darkening is 'natural', others say it is from decaying seals at the slave (no, didn't rebuild the slave prior to changing the fluid).
I'd love to hear what y'all have to say on this topic.
I'm hoping dark is ok, as a new starter and OK fuel injector cleaning are already at the top of the list for consuming my summer Alfa money.:huh:

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
11,329 Posts
change in color of brake or clutch fluid is from heat, moisture, or contamination. It will naturally absorb some moisture from the air, but this usually takes a couple of years for color change. Heat from racing can turn fluid brown after a single session on the track.
Deterioration of hydraulic system parts lend a darker black color. None of these symptoms are normal for a properly maintained hydraulic system. All require periodic flushing by bleeding the system for the longest life of that system. That "period" depends somewhat on use, and somewhat on time.
My opinion from my experience.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Hi all -
I replaced my clutch fluid in June and am now noticing it turning dark - not black but visibly darker than clear.
I did some roamin' around on the internet and found (of course) posts in both directions; some say the darkening is 'natural', others say it is from decaying seals at the slave (no, didn't rebuild the slave prior to changing the fluid).
I'd love to hear what y'all have to say on this topic.
I'm hoping dark is ok, as a new starter and OK fuel injector cleaning are already at the top of the list for consuming my summer Alfa money.:huh:

Thanks in advance.
well... did you clean the reservior when you changed it last time ? either way... for the 6 bucks for the fuild, just flush a pint of fresh fluid thru it and see what happens... worst case is it needs seals and you wasted 6 bucks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts