Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I've started to take more of an interest in how my Alfa's hang together... most recently I decided to rip the radio out of my dash Giulia as it's not something I really need. In doing so, it got me poking and prodding around behind my dash. I pulled out the following material which I presume was used for sound dampening..?? Either way it felt pretty crusty and brittle so I decided to pull it out. It kind of looked like roofing insulation so I also decided to hold my breath....

Afterwards it got me wondering if there's any toxic materials I need to be concerned about when working on these older cars. Anything in particular to worry about?

Anyway, maybe slightly left of centre, but figure it's worth asking the question!!

Cheers!
IMG_9740.JPG IMG_9739.JPG

·
Registered
251 Posts
Looks like Jute padding-with some black covering-(moisture protection?. Jute padding is made from Jute fibers-totally safe. Used as sound proofing material. Its downside is its ability to retain water (hence the black moisture proof barrier)

·
Premium Member
14,233 Posts
Gasoline is pretty toxic.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,649 Posts
The heat shields on the cat and mufflers are coated with asbestos on the top side, all the way through the S4, I believe. This needs to be treated with care as the asbestos here is typically old and flaking, which makes it more hazardous. Older brake linings also contained asbestos, which makes blowing out brakes with compressed air not a good idea.

There are some reports that the tar undercoating contains asbestos, at least in the earlier cars. I'd be less worried about this as it's encapsulated and thus less likely to get into your lungs or skin.

Interior brownish fiber stuff is typically fiberglass. This is an irritant but not particularly dangerous. Use a dust mask and gloves.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts