Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If you lay-up your car over the winter or keep it in a humid location, you might consider a "Dampp Chaser" dehumidifier rod. I'd used one earlier on a piano next to a damp wall in a humid location and had the idea to use one inside the car after I'd let it sit for several years and noted quite a bit of rust and fog on the chrome and glass.

It's a nice tubular heater encased in a vinyl tube. I got the 18" (12W) for $26 + shipping from Natures Tapestry (Link). They also have 24" (15W), 36" (25W), and 48" (35W). There is guidance on what size enclosed space needs which size-wattage. You can also use them in closets, boats, etc. I mounted mine on a 4"x24" piece of pine and painted it satin black. I lay it across the seats toward the front so some may waft up under the dash and keep the instruments unfouled. It's just enough heat to keep the interior heat differential a few of degrees above ambient (a soft top) and help stop condensation and fogging. Think it over.

PS: I also use a 36" in my boat (under the cover) and a 24" in my water treating equipment room on a thermostat to prevent freezing in winter.

Attachments

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Reminder for this winter. I have no personal or commercial interest in this whatsoever. I just hate rust and fogged instrument faces.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bump.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I have a "dehumidifier in the garage during the winter. It is hooked up to a timer that runs it for about 4-6 hours a day depending the humidity in the air. Got it on line from one of those "scratch and dent" places for cheep. "Over Stocked" I think.

In the summer I have one of those "heat pump" water heaters in the garage. This thing uses the heat in the garage to heat up the water tank. In the process it cools the air and condenses the water vaper in the air, The condensed water is run out of the garage through a drain. Heck, if your a gardener, you could run the drain to your tomato plants. :cool: 🌴

BTW: Those heater rod are great for your piano but they don't do much for your rocker panels. You need to get all the water vaper out.

Wait a minute, I just realized that if you drill holes in your rockers and install those tubes in the rockers you could keep the rockers dry. Problem solved.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Damp Chasers are great. They were designed for pianos to keep keys from sticking in damp climates. My Alfetta GT doesn't need one, but have one installed in the engine compartment of my 26ft. power boat. Along with a circulation fan, it keeps things dry...They also draw very low wattage also...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts