Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings club,

Don Rose is putting together his last charity toy run for the various car clubs, including the AROC Lone Star club. Here are the details:

When: Saturday, December 13, 2014
Where: Meet at Dallas Motorsports, 304 Paul Wilson Road, Wylie, TX 75098
Time: 8:30 A.M.
Entry: An unwrapped toy or cash donation

The drive benefits the Collin County Children's Advocacy Center. Don reports that parking will be a little hectic and that the county sheriff may have the road blocked off. If so, tell them you are with the toy run and they should let you in.

The drive will be about 100 or so miles long and may take about 90 minutes or so. They usually end up at a drop off place and then head for a group lunch. If you want to participate, you need to email or call Don. His email is [email protected] and his number is 469-235-5639. This is a good way to spend a Saturday morning and I hope we can have several Alfa Romeo's show up and represent the group. I am planning on bringing the 164 sedan if it is running good. Otherwise it will be the Fiat spider.

Come out if you can and thanks everyone,

Jeff
Dallas, Texas

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is the latest update from Don on the Toy Run. It looks like a perfect route for an Alfa Romeo! If you are in the ICCSW, let Garrick know you are going and he will include you in with the club count. Otherwise, let Don know yourself.

"Carolyn and I and the Ferrari badged Explorer have been busy for the past several days. I decided that much of the first run was OK but not great so we basically kept the first 15 miles and threw the rest away. I hope you guys like turns because there are a ton of them on this route.

We still have not finalized the end point because I cannot get the fellow that controls the facility to return my phone calls or e-mails. However we do have a secondary spot if I cannot get permission. The run is 82 miles long at this point and it took us about 1.75 hours to run. I am quite sure that a couple of you guys will whittle down that time.

Carolyn and I met with the coordinator of the McKinney C.A.S.A. yesterday to talk about the toy donation. They currently have 350 children under their umbrella from newborns to 17 years old.

There are some specific needs;
For infants and toddlers-anything Barbie, Frozen, Disney, toys that make noise or flash coloring books, stacking toys
For Teenage girls-hair accessories, cosmetics and cosmetic bags,
For teenage boys-sporting equipment, remote control cars, etc.
Generally-board games, puzzles, developmental toys

The folks at CASA are almost all volunteers and they really have a tough job, so let's see if we can really give them a big help this year.

Again this year we will have a dual contribution. If you want to donate cash or checks it will go to the Collin County Children's Advocacy Center and I will have an envelope at the run to collect your donation.

In the event you cannot make the event there are some facilities around town you can leave a toy donation and those people will bring them on the run. I will have a complete list in a day or so."

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update from Don regarding the need and drop off points if you wish to donate but cannot make the drive.

I cannot reiterate enough the need for toys this year. These folks at the McKinney C.A.S.A. are almost all volunteer and their children load is really heavy. When we met with them they had about 10 large trash bags of toys collected and they needed a ton more.

In the event you will miss-maybe the best road run we have put together-I have arranged for three toy collection points in the Dallas area. So you could drop off your donation there and we would really appreciate it. They in turn will either call me for pick up or transport them to the run.

Here are the collection points from East to West

A Tin Lizzie Affair
13350 Floyd Circle
Dallas 75243
972-234-3791
214-367-5400
972-831-8111

Thanks everyone, Jeff

·
Registered
281 Posts
Cant make the run...but

Jeff,
I do have a bunch of toys I can drop off at the Carrolton location today. Should I tell them that I am with the ICCSW or does it matter?
The toys I have with me today are ones that my Kids have donated out of there "collection" and not wrapped. Can they still use them?
I certainly will grab a wrapped gift on my way over there no problem.
Thanks,
Michael Keane

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Michael,

I missed your message from that Friday. I take it you were able to drop off the presents. There were 3 Fiat/Abarth 500's there, my 124 Spider and an Alfa GTV. We all had a great run. Here is the closing message from Don.

Well congratulations to all that showed up and exercised their steeds. Counting the number of maps that were left over vs the number that were printed we had 109 cars on the run. Will H. did a physical count and he came up with 110, so we were very close. Actually I think there were a couple of more as some took off to the end place with out a map in each car.

In any event it was a massive gathering!!!!!!!!! Thanks to all of you in this marvelous community.

Carolyn and I stayed to the very last as they loaded up the truck. They bagged all the toys in 50 gal. trash bags and when they were done there was only 3 feet from the toy bags to the back of the truck. Lots and Lots of deserving kids will have something on Christmas day thanks to you guys. In addition we raised over $900.00 for the CCCAG.
Again thanks to DMS for hosting us, Office Perks for the great coffee, Bob P. and the SSR group, Richard S. and the BMW group, Sheriff Terry Box and his fine staff but most of all thank all of you for your time and generosity. To all of you a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

My thanks also to everyone who participated either by driving or donating toys. It was a great way to start the holiday season. Cheers and chao!

Jeff

1 - 5 of 5 Posts