Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone, im in the market for a new daily driver. My dad got me into alfa's so i thought about getting one myself. He owns an '71 GTV. Im actually using his account because he's not the most computer savy guy out there. I'm really into the old school bmw's (e30). I've owned about four now, but i was thinking about changing it up a little and maybe track down a gtv6. My question for you all is, is a gtv6 a good car to daily drive? reliability, cost of maintenance, locating parts, etc. etc. I know a lot of things play into your answers like, what condition the car is in when i buy it and whats my budget on buying one. Well, I dont want one thats in mint condition because it will be a daily driver and i live in the suburbs of chicago so there will be snow/salt. I'd say i could afford around $4k and i'd be looking for something that's for the most part mechanically sound and body doesnt have to be perfect but nice looking for the most part. Any advice would be great, i think owning one of these would be really fun..... thanks everyone,

anthony

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
You can easily get a GTV6 for $4,000 that is not mint but could be mechanically sound. There a re a lot of cars out there that have some rust but run well. They can be a great deal, as most people don't want to deal with rust at all. I drive a GTV6 beater that has quite a bit of rust but runs fantastic! And it cost me $500 4 years ago!!
If you are a decent mechanic or learn easily, they are quite dependable and easy to maintain. I've been driving them as daily drivers for over 10 years !

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
For 4K you could do well. They are out there. Patience and luck of course are the key. I got lucky with my '84 and got a near perfect example for around that. Though I think it should be $6500+. A Denver car went for 4K on Ebay a month ago too and it looked really good. And yes they can be a daily driver as long as you know what to look for. Alfa V6's are real stout engines so those can run and run. The typical 2nd gear syncro and drive line donuts are things to consider. I have two 164's for my dailys but if I had to I could use my GTV6 for sure.

·
Registered
625 Posts
As long as you do your research, look for the usual problems with these cars (some examples include: timing belt and tensioner, synchros, rust) Also, check out the articles at www.hiperformancestore.com and test drive a few. You might have to spend more than 4K depending on how patient you are, or how car savvy. Good Luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello fellow gtv6 lovers. I need some help and advice. I just replaced my water pump and of course the timing belt. The car ran nice and tight for about 4 days but now it sounds as though it has caught the flu. It's beautiful engine note has been muffled and it doesn't have that crisp engine note. It almost sounds like someone has put a sock in the muffler? The mechanic that did the work said it's probably dirty injectors? I don't know but i feel that it's definitley not the same car. Any suggestions, could it be the timing??

Thank you, Stathis

·
Registered
625 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
I think it depends on what you expect from a daily driver. A lot of GTV-6s will have wipers and windows that operate in slow motion. Many will have transmissions that require very delicate shifting. Some parts like windhshields are getting hard to find. I love mine but I drive a more practical and comfortable car on my daily grind to and from work.

·
Registered
324 Posts
frank IMHO your most important factor for you location, snow, wind ,rain etc is going to be, to find an example that is 100% solid underneath, that is to say, good sills, inner lower fenders, trunk floor etc. get it up on a ramp at a local garage if you can before you consider buying, if its solid underneath you are half way there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think it depends on what you expect from a daily driver. A lot of GTV-6s will have wipers and windows that operate in slow motion. Many will have transmissions that require very delicate shifting. Some parts like windhshields are getting hard to find. I love mine but I drive a more practical and comfortable car on my daily grind to and from work.
i know what thats like, im currently driving an '84 bmw 528e. Although its in great shape, the wipers are so slow that i have to use them atleast on the second level so they dont get caught up and the windows are the slowest i've had in any car so far. hahaha. I know the delicate shifting part, my dad's alfa requires the same delicacy. I dont mind at all, i've been driving manual since i was 16. Also, i only work 3mi. away from home and school is no more than 15mi. round trip.

thanks for all the input guys, ill keep my eye open for a gtv6. I always have the car lifted just to check for leaks, guibos, rust, etc. the help is much appreciated.

anthony

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've had my car almost 25 years, never left me stranded. Like the others say it's a very strong car.

Around 1999- 2000 I started commuting 500 miles a week in it. It made the commute fun (except the traffic jams ;)). I did that for about a year and a half. No problems except a rear diff seal started to seep and a blown header gasket.

Besides finding one that was well maintained, just make sure you have backup transportation. If you don't, I'd say it's not practical to run one exclusively.

There will be times you need to wait for a part and there's nothing you can do about it.

·
Registered
661 Posts
A GTV-6 as a daily driver - life could never be finer... it is an exotic with a maintaince standard certainly at an exotic level.

You will be looking for excuses to drive.

Finding parts is becoming difficult; finding electrical ground gremlins more difficult; find a open strech of road during the weekdays to warm the engine and burn moisture out of the systems - impossible.

Your money will be best spent finding the best you can afford.

Enjoy the ride.

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
Here's my .02 cents:

First - you're dad's GTV's shifting quirks will probably pale in comparison to a transaxle Alfa's shifting quirks:rolleyes:. Being used to one in no way makes you used to the other - totally different feel between the two.

The cars can be driven daily (I've only had Alfa's as my daily driver's for 15+ years now), but they tend to appreciate a longer commute than what you are currently faced with. Lots of short, around-town trips can be hard on these engines (any engine really), they like to stretch their legs and take awhile to get up to optimum temperature. By the time you get to school - your transmission will just about be warmed up and second gear will finally engage smoothly (so long as synchros are good!:)).

I've never had problems with part availability on my earlier Alfetta's, but I always suspect that is a function of where I live:confused:. Stuff can get pricey, and if you buy a car that needs tranny or engine work, you can easily double what you spent on the car to get things right.

Hope that doesn't discourage you from owning a fantastic car, one that you will thank yourself for buying everytime you drive it, just caveat emptor - know what you're getting into and have the car inspected by someone familiar with GTV-6's.

Stepping off the soapbox now...:D

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I know we're talking GTV6 here but I think Milano's could be thrown in since the platform is the same. Two things I would love to have in my GTV6 is power steering and an LSD diff. Yes you can put the Milano diff in a GTV6, so that one is not too big of a deal but I'm not sure anyone has put a power steering unit to a GTV6. Having said that, you may want to keep your radar on for a Milano too.

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
I know we're talking GTV6 here but I think Milano's could be thrown in since the platform is the same. Two things I would love to have in my GTV6 is power steering and an LSD diff. Yes you can put the Milano diff in a GTV6, so that one is not too big of a deal but I'm not sure anyone has put a power steering unit to a GTV6. Having said that, you may want to keep your radar on for a Milano too.
FYI - a guy in the SF ARA club has done the conversion to power steering in his GTV-6, he loves it...

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
FYI - a guy in the SF ARA club has done the conversion to power steering in his GTV-6, he loves it...
Thanks, I'd love to find out how hard the job was. The ZF power steering in the Milano is really nice. Perfectly weighted in my opinion and would make a GTV6 all but perfect.

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
Thanks, I'd love to find out how hard the job was. The ZF power steering in the Milano is really nice. Perfectly weighted in my opinion and would make a GTV6 all but perfect.

His name is George Graves and if you go to the ARA site and scroll down to the magazine staff - his email is there: http://www.alfaromeoassociation.org/about.html

He loves his car - so I'm sure he'll be happy to answer any questions...

·
Registered
7 Posts
i have 2 alfas, a 69 GTV 1750 and an 83 GTV6. the GTV6 i drive daily and dont have any problems. i had some problems when i bought it, but once u get it going just oil and filters. I got my aircon fixed for the australian summer. the gear box on it isnt great as im sure most of u will agree, and that can be a pain if u drive in heavy/peak hour traffic. mechanical bits arent a problem, its just tracking down trim parts that is hard.
dave

·
Registered
355 Posts
I installed power steering in GTV6 ten years ago, pulled the engine and the job was a whole lot easier.

My current GTV6 (no power steering, mildy modified 3.0 and old-school suspension upgrades, stock AC, stock cooling system) is driven daily in the summer & fall, works fine. Get's a bit beat up so it really is a daily driver now. I run 225/50-15's a 7" wheels, would be careful about going to a lower profile tire, too stiff/lowered suspension depending on roads. Exhaust leaks from banging the center muffler despite being careful are regular maintenance

Winter in NJ, no GTV-6 driving, Suburban LTZ works better

·
Registered
750 Posts
I drove my v6 as a commuter for 170K over the years, next to regular maintenance the only downside was when the weather got really hot and I'd show up at a clients with a sweaty back. And on those occassions when traffic was really a grind the foot clutching could get pretty tired (but that would be for any manual). One nice thing is that in really bumper to bumper traffic, you can leave the car in first and it will pull it self along at 5 or so mph.

The really nice thing was on those really downer days - when it was time to go home ... turn the key, nail 2nd gear ... total therapy!

I'd have a hard time commuting day in and out with a really cherry one today though.

GV

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Your car is really nice. I wouldn't see any harm in rewarding yourself with a restored interior to get another 170K miles of!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts