Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many folks out there drive an Alfa every day (or at least four days a week)?

I drive my '69 1750 gtv everyday (unless it snows) or about 300 days a year I estimate. I am fortunate I have a garage to park in at work and my commute is only 12 miles each way.

I did get caught in one unexpected snow storm last January. There was about three inches on the roads when I got home. I just had no traction at the rear wheels in that much snow!

Garrett

·
Registered
913 Posts
I drive my '69 GTV every day unless I drive the spider or the Jr. Z. The only time I don't drive an Alfa is when I'm going somewhere to play with one and it's on the trailer behind my Ford van.

·
Premium Member
6,681 Posts
I was driving my 1970 GT Junior everyday (about 75-100 miles) until the head stud broke. Gonna start fixing her up in a few weeks so I can start using her everday.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
My wife drives her 164LS every day. Even has good snow tires.

I do wish I could drive a "classic" Alfa every day, but between the roads and the salt, I'd rather see my miata rot away.

Eric

·
Registered
7 Posts
I drive my 84 Spider every day since January 1993. I drove my 79 Spider every day for 5 years before that. Right now it's getting painted but when it comes back I will continue driving it.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I would be driving my Spider everyday it was nice out but instead its up on stands in my garage waiting for the motor to come out of it. Last time I really drove it was last Sept. when I finally put the motor out of its miseray and ended up overheating it. Otherwise it was moved around the driveway and fianlly into the garage for work.

But I would never dare drive it in winter even though it has a lot of rust I dont want it incouraged to continue to rust or even worse me lose control of my sweet car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Daily Driver

I drive my 84 Spider every day - 'tis my only car:D
Looking for a 105 1750 and a early 70's Ferrari Dino to take up more of my time outside of work!!!!!!!!

OzSpider
84 Spider

·
Registered
28 Posts
My '86 Spider was purchased new. I drive it everyday, except when it rains or snows. Last year it got a new paint job, top and seats. Once a year I take it into Stewart's Ferrari and tell them to do whatever it needs. Most years it only gets an oil change. Last year they replaced the brakes. 100,000 miles between brake jobs. I've never owned another car that was so reliable. But it goes thru tires rather quickly.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I would love to drive my Alfa everyday, but 90 degree weather and a 3hour/140 mile (Pasadena to way past Irvine) commute makes it impossible. And I have neglected my Alfa for almost a month :(

Until...

My 98 VW took the toll and broke down last Saturday with the electric fan not working and overheated.
I was going to start my bike and ride it to work - two cranks and the battery died. Push starting it like an idiot in the parking lot didn't help. :(

A friend picked me up at home and went to pick up my Alfa at the warehouse. One turn of the key and the faithful 30yr old GTV started instantly with one crank (never did that before) :D

Unfortunately, I couldn't drive it 140 miles everyday, but I drove it 30 miles a day for the past week to pickup my friend's car to drive to work.

It was my happiest week of driving ever in my life (better than the time of driving cross country, alone). I'm making plans to make my GTV ready for the 140 mile stop and go drive - any suggestion?

PS. I have a feeling that it is the GTV that told my VW and bike to break down, so she will get more attention :D

·
Senior TEXAS member
1,526 Posts
I drive my '78 Spider everyday. Only car. I bought it the last day of January with 83,000 and it now has 96,000. Normal problems but has started and run everyday. Into the 100degree Summer days now and still not a bad drive. Would not recomend this car to everyone, because I like being in a fairly exclusive club.

·
Senior TEXAS member
1,526 Posts
Well my Colorado friend, they dont know what to think!
There are 3 or 4 Spiders in town and the jacked-up 4x4, extended cab, long bed, gas guzzling, road hawging, my daddy bought it for me, red neck college boys cant get enough! Especially when we blow by the little eastern imports with their lowered skirts, buzzy exhausts, trick under carriage lights and 19" wheels in a tight little off camber turn going up hill! I have had many a beer passed my way after a little run with the Asian fellas by a pickem up full of guys and gals following at an ever increasing distance.
Quote: "Whoo Hoo, I loved watchin that little EYE talian job, suck up those asain cars like so much spagetti.
Here, prof, have a beer! How are my grades?" Gig'em.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts