Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Has anyone had any experience with Exedy clutch kits for 33's and suds? Whilst preparing to fit my new engine we found the pressure plate on my Sachs clutch (only on the car about 25,000 k) half worn through. I know they have a tendency to do that but the previous one lasted 180,000k. Nothing wrong with the bearing. We are going to overhall the hydraulics.

We sourced a new clutch kit for the 33/Sud from Exedy Australia, formerly known as Daikin clutches. It is different in design, though seems to fit. One interesting thing is that the bearing carrier is entirelly made of metal, unlike the rather flimsy Sachs one. The hole assembly seems a fair bit lighter too, which can I am told have some advantages. I had always thought only Sachs nd valeo made clutch kits for our cars. According to their web site they make the original clutches for most Japanese cars as well as some Holdens and Fords.

Anyone had any experience with these clutches?

regards

Paolo

·
Registered
787 Posts
no experience but exedy are well known in *** car circles for their performance clutches.. cant be any worse than the sachs

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that. Looks like no one has had any experience with them. Shall give it a try. Trial fitted it all and it certainly fits properly and the bearing carrier seems a much better design.

regards

paolo

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No not pink, same colours as the Sachs. I know what you mean about pictures. I failed in my attempt to put up pics of the engine rebuild because they all needed resizing.

I've taken a couple at 800x600 so hopefully it will let me put them up. I'll have a go tomorrow.

paolo

·
Registered
755 Posts
That thrust bearing looks much better, one of the brands (sachs or Valeo?) has a horrible one that my brother bought for his 16V, we decided to take it back, it was so piss weak!! How much was the clutch kit? Id be interested in using one myself when my clutch gives out. Cheers for the pics.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah it seems much better than the Sachs one and is very similar to the original that was in the Suds that a friend brought over to show me. Hopefully it will work out, though we need to check all my hydraulics.

The whole kit was 250.00, although that was allegedly with little or no mark up from the brake place that ordered it for me (through a friend).

regards

paolo

·
Registered
498 Posts
It looks alot like the valeo clutch I just put in my sprint on the pressure plate, that thrust bearing though is really a work of art!

Not as crazy as those units though that do away with the fork and replace the slave cylinder with an all one one slave/thrust.

Do these bearings actually wear out? I always noticed it was the bearings that wore down the pressure plate.. Or is that what happens when the bearings cease to function?

lenus.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Others will know more than me on this topic. However they can wear and seize. Also a friend who has wrecked a few Suds and 33's has found some plastic bearing carriers melted!

My Sachs clutch was only about 30,000k old but had the "fingers" on the backing plate half worn through.:(Which is the way they often go, but not that soon (no I don't leave my foot on the clutch). The bearing was perfect though. That is why I need to check the hydraulics!

Another fact I learned is that you can get (or brakeplaces can) individual parts etc. The backing plate was 150 but by the time you added the price of the bearing carrier it was worth getting the whole thing.

One more point.Th back of the bearing carrier has a slightly raised section where it fits round the shaft. This very slightly fouls the fingers on the clutch release arm. w are going to modify that slightly but it's not a big deal.

regards

paolo

1 - 11 of 11 Posts