Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought this car over a year ago and am finally getting to it...you might remember it from this thread:

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/gt-1965-1974/30528-new-pony-stable.html

I was looking for something my father and I could restore...something to take up his time. My mother recently passed away (she was on a respirator for over a year and a half) and he spend nearly 8 to 12 hours per day at her bedside...(one of these days, i'll put the story on the "caring for aging parents" thread)...even the hospital personel said they'd never seen such devotion...over the years she'd survived two kidney transplants,meningitis, brain aneurysm, sepsis..and lived a full life.....he thought he could pull her thru one more time...but unfortunatlely she couldn't beat this illness....she never complianed about her health, great sense of humor.... and was thankful for the time she had....the strongest mind i've ever met......anyway..on to the gtv

Dad is the type of person who can fix anything, from plumbing to electrical, cars (mechanic for over 40 years) etc..over years i never remember calling anyone to fix either something in the house or cars...we've reroofed the house together, rewired a house, did copper pipes, ran new gas lines..well you get the idea...nothing the guy can't fix......

i aways wanted to restore a car with him, and learn some of the things he is an expert at (i.e. welding)...i realized at 50 years old (he's 84), it's time to
start before i run out of time

also bought a parts car off ebay for help with the restoration...cut it up...actually a funny story...i sold the doors off that car to member TGOLD.....he came and picked up the doors, and then spent the better part of the day helping me cut up the parts car.....i tried to refund him the money for the doors for helping me, but he wouldn't let me...i tell you he was like a surgeon with that sawzall....very good of him to help me like that

along the way, i've met or dealt with a lot of people from the bb...so this thread will include some of the good people i've come in contact with
for example, it was nice meeting simon...genuinely a nice, honest guy

the engine is seized...probably broken...so i have another i'll be dropping in...the suspension is shot...will put all new in...needs rust repair along the windshield...needs a windshield...have some sheet metal from the parts car.....plan to keep the car blue (color's kinda grown on me)...... steering box is shattered.....this is going to take a looong time, but he's the start, but if nothing else, will have some good memories out of it

with the engine out...it'll be easier to tackle the suspension...believe it or not, i have been accumulating parts over the years..have just about everything i need except the windshield....even have a great set of seats (black though)....so hopefully i
can hold the cost down somewhat...

Attachments

·
Registered
115 Posts
Alfaman,

You are a good man and so is your father. What a great thought to keep your father busy and for you both to create some memories.

All the best to you both,

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
what an awesome project! I am looking forward to following the progress in this thread.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Words can't describe how lucky you are to have the opportunity to take on this project with your dad by your side. I'll be looking forward to your pics. God bless you both!

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
You're a lucky guy to have a dad who at 84yrs seems sharp and spry enough to help you on your ALFA restoration! With 4 hands on the project I should progress quite quickly....unlike some others that I know about....(and yup I include myself in the others).

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
No money in the world can replace this new experience restoring that beautiful car with your dad. You are truly blessed!!! Have a blast and enjoy every minute! Can't wait to see both of your faces when guys you are done! :)

·
Registered
519 Posts
What you are both doing is my dream! I do all my projects at my Dad's place, but unfortunately, all I get is the odd nod, or "that looks good" comment from my Dad! Cherish the memories!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I wish I had a dad to work with - this thread brings tears to my eyes...my dad is totally useless - he simply drinks all day and is slowly killing himself :( you guys make me jealous

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
It's been over a month since y'all pulled the engine.....we need an update!:D

Great project, great car..........keep us posted.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
thanks guys....i'm trying to redo a room (drywall, electrical, framing...insulation...major termite damage repair, new windows)...with dad's help, so he can move in with us (no problem with the wife..she likes him better then me)

that's been taking time away from the car....but will update soon...suspension next!....i'm itching to get to it!...wait until you see the nice engine i bought for it

by the way, that's a berlina under the cover behind us in the pics..will get to that one of these days..

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
thanks guys....i'm trying to redo a room (drywall, electrical, framing...insulation...major termite damage repair, new windows)...with dad's help, so he can move in with us (no problem with the wife..she likes him better then me)
That's is wonderful to read. Parents treasure the company of their children, and sharing in their children's life when they may feel that there is not much for them to offer has no substitute. May everyone be as a good a son as you. God bless.

Best regards,

·
Registered
318 Posts
I just found this thread and it looks like an outstanding father&son team! Please keep us up-to-date on the progress and cherish every moment. Take lots of pictures too.

I haven't put on the front clip that I bought from you, but it will go on this year for sure. Thanks again for it. I just got a new job and haven't had quite the time I would want to work on the Antonia (my gtv), but I'm slowly starting to settle down.

·
Admin
4,862 Posts
Hey Rick How are things?

I saw you posting in another forum and started thinking what was going on with this project?

Any updates? Did you ever open the motor? I have always been curious about its internals.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
hey simon...good to hear from you

will restart on the car in about a month..have all the parts except the windshield

i've actually been working on the house; have added a section for dad
(he's moving in with us about Christmas)...

so once he's in, we will be jumping on the car...he (and i) am really looking forward to it

am in the process of wiring the garage for 220 so we can use a good mig welder

no i just pulled the original engine...i have another one i'm going to drop in....a real beauty that i
bought from someone who collected alfa's for years...

i'm also curious about the original motor...when we pull it apart, i'll post pics

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
My parents loved my first Alfa:cool: and hated the :eek: GTO I bought after I sold the Alfa. :rolleyes:doesn't it annoy 'ya when you find out your parents weren't as stupid as you were;). Unfortunitely, both aren't around now to see my new Alfa but I'm sure they smiled when I reAlfistied. Good luck with the resto:).

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
i've actually been working on the house; have added a section for dad
(he's moving in with us about Christmas)...
It's good to read this, Alfaman... My mom and dad moved in with us in the Spring of 2002. Dad used to say that the 164L was the best car he ever owned, and he loved driving it. When younger, every now and then, he would drive my '84 Spider. The 1974 Spider however, was his favorite, and after he stopped driving, he would always ask that we take the '74 when we went out anywhere. Dad left us this past spring, but the memories of him being around us, I will treasure for the rest of my life...

Best regards,

·
Premium Member
6,413 Posts
Pretty neat, my Dad and I, he mostly, did a frame off restoration of a 49 MG YT when I was in high school, he taught me a lot. Then one day he came home with an Alfa.........
he's gone now, enjoy everyday but you seem to have that part allready figured out, good luck and happy days!

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanks guys....the house has taken out so much of my time....

can't wait to get back to the cars......i'm done with "home improvement"
for the next 10 years

1 - 20 of 33 Posts