Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long time no post, so here I am again. I am looking to have the break guy here replace the cylinders for the 43 calipers. He has had no luck finding them (or so he said). Can anyone guide me in the right direction where I can find the cylinders for all of the calipers for my 87 Spider?

Thanks

·
Registered
52 Posts
rebuilt calipers are easy to source, and many large cities will have wholesale brake rebuilders that can do the job for you, too. Nothing special about Alfa calipers, in fact they're very generic ATE parts, with variants used on VW, Porsche, BMW, Volvo, etc. The cylinders are part of the caliper and are not separate pieces, so I'm guessing you want a set of pistons. They're available, too, but rebuilt caalipers are both cheaper and easier to source, so why not go that route. For all four rebuilt calipers, you're looking at ~$500, but I've used a local rebuilder to have mine done for ~$45 each on a few of my Spiders. Shop around before letting your mechanic do more work than is required.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The problem that I am having is that there is no source for parts where I live. I failed to mention that I am in San Juan, Puerto Rico. So, unless I can find the part number or the place in the states where I can purchase the replacement caliper cylinder, I am forced to spend an outrageous amount of money to have them shipped overseas. Based on the weight, those will cost a pretty penny to have either FedEx or UPS overnight them, maybe as much as a couple of C-notes. I am trying to avoid that extra expenditure. I have not found a break mechanic here that could even find the part number for the cylinders since they are so rare here in the Caribbean.

Thanks

·
Registered
52 Posts
Actually, I did notice you were in PR. I'm sure UPS and FedEx will hose you, but what about the USPS? As long as you're not in a huge hurry, their rates will be very reasonable to PR.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts