Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some advice.

After much difficulty, I removed the head and see deep pits. Can't figure out why as thought I just blew a gasket. Do I need a new head? Anyone know where I can get one? I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,042 Posts
Depending on the overall condition of the head, it can be repaired. This sort of corrosion is common where anti freeze is not used and the coolant becomes an electrolyte. After a complete disassembly and chemical cleaning, the areas of pitting can be glass beaded and repaired by aluminum welding. The head will require some mill work and possibly more welding to completely fill the pits. Milling the head thinner should be avoided as much as possible in re creating the original surface.
That work completed, the head is rebuilt with new valves guides and springs as normal. If a correct aluminum block / head coolant is used,along with a high quality head-gasket, you should not experience further problems.
I suggest this as good 1750 heads are becoming harder to find, and usually repair will be less expensive than securing another good head.
You need to be sure to use a shop that is familiar with this type repair.

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
It looks like a corroded gasket still stuck to the head.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Cylinder head repair

I would run the head by Norman Racing in Berkeley and have Dan Marvin take a look at it. He has years of experience fixing Alfa heads. He should be able to tell you which way to go to get the car back together.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Valuable information,no one will ever find it in the classifieds. how about moving it to the engine rebuild forum and re-titleing so a search for this issue is likely to turn it up? just a thought.
Stan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts