Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I am planning to cut an 85 mm hole for a clock in the central console of my GTV 2000. I want to cut the hole in the centre of the console above the gearstick.

Has anyone ever tried to cut a hole in the console? I obviously don't want it to look like an amateur's job, so any hints, tips or advise on tools would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Baz

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Hey Baz:

I have never cut my dash....not even for a nice aftermarket stereo, but thats me. If the clock is true round, get a drill bit hole saw and a good drill. The bit is the same type they use to cut door knob holes. Be sure to select the bit size by the size of the clock housing and not by the trim bezel. Keep a spray bottle of water to spray the cutting surface as you go so as not to melt the edges of the plastic. Most of all take your time. Should cut easy so not a lot of force or speed.

Best Regards,
John M

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why do you all repeat each other?

Yeah, ditto, too right, with you, agree etc? What is the point?

Classic Alfa's are individual cars and there is nothing wrong with cutting a hole in a cheap bit of plywood in the console (I never mentioned the dashboard) to add a classic rally clock. Indeed, try and find a GTA where these type of mods were not made.

To me you sound more like a bunch of sheep following each other than proud owners of a great classic car.

Baz

·
Registered
992 Posts
Because it seems we are all of the opinion that cutting your console is not a good idea. But...

Feel free to modify your Alfa any way you want. I think what we were all voicing here is the fact that consoles are hard to find in pristine condition. A dash is already hard enough to find uncut.

It's really just a matter of opinion. Like when Tom Zat would "shave" an SS. Some say that it's akin to dry humping Satan, some think it's innovation. Alfas are rare cars, trim is not plentiful. You should have seen what the PO did to my first Berlina. Horrifying.

Also, a GTA is a totally different story than a widely produced car. The comparison just isn't there.

I do have to address the following...

Cheap piece of plywood? Uh, ok. Seems to me a "proud owner" would not refer to his console as a "cheap piece of plywood."
And sheep? Please, if we were sheep we'd be driving Hondas, Acuras or some other crap box. Not rare Italian cars.

Sit back, relax and get a thicker skin.

·
Premium Member
1,456 Posts
What Magista said.:p

Baz,

We all have opinions, some think cutting holes in early Alfa's is insane, and some could careless. There is no need to call us sheeps. Baaaaaa!:p

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Roadtrip said:
Leave the dash alone. Get a watch.
Hey Baz,

Take a chill pill. I just thought that Roadtrip's post was hilarious. And I agreed with it. Your new clock looks nice in the console. I however, would never cut into my console (if I had one). I keep wondering how long you'll have to take your eyes off the road in order to read your clock down there.

You asked for advice. We gave our opinions, that's all. It's your Alfa, do what you want. Just don't get your feelings hurt when someone doesn't admire your modifications as much as you do.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Baz,

If you want a spare centre console I've just pulled one out of my 2000 GTV parts car. No holes in it (yet).....

·
Registered
739 Posts
I'm big on originality, especially with the pre-'75 cars. However, now that replacement wood kits for 2000 GT Veloces are available, the next owner of Baz's car can return the car to stock if they so desire. That being said, I'd still favor a car that is original vs. one where I need to replace stuff to undo modifications made by the DPO.

This modification isn't as bad as say, ripping off the SPICA and replacing it with carbs.

Baaa... Baaaa...

·
Registered
992 Posts
Yeah, I'd have to agree with that. Baaaaah, Baaaah!

Although my Berlina is a 1750 w/ a 2000 engine installed AND the Spica was removed and Webers were put in their place. Hahahah!

The PO that did this did a fantastic job though. It's definately not normal. Also, since this is a 105 (German market) it is "technically" correct w/ the Webers. The only thing that is not stock is the actual engine. Someone also cut a hole in the dash for the radio which totally blows. But I have tracked down an uncut non-cracked 1750 dash. Yay!

Ok, I'm going back to grazing now.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just cut out the console on my 1974 GTV to add a CD/radio to replace the one that the PO installed. the existing radio was a "shaft" installation, meaning it had a center rectangular hole and 2 round holes for the tuning knobs already cut into it. the radio sucked so I replaced it with a new Alpine. Had to enlarge the existing rectangular hole to accomodate a European "DIN" mount, about 7" wide. I thought that the console was just a wood facade but it turned out to have a metal backing that needed to be hack-sawed. For what I needed to do, which was cut straight lines, the installation went well and the new CD/Radio is just what the doctor ordered. Don't know if cutting through with a hole saw would be as easy...

BTW, my car is stock to the bone, and I agree with the other posters that adding a clock may be questionable. but I had to have good sound.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts