Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished wiring new relays into the headlight circuit on my S4 last weekend and took it out into the dark for the first time tonight. They're real hot bug-cookers, but there's a problem. The blue "high beam" indicator shines when the low beam is on, and the blue indicator goes out when the high beam is on. Go figure -- it all seemed to go so well -- I suspected I was celebrating too early. Is the repair just a matter of swapping the power output wires from one relay to the other? Do I have to sacrifice a chicken over the relays? What will make it act right? David

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,073 Posts
Yeah, sounds like you have your high beam wire from the switch going to the low beam relay, and vice-versa. You should just be able to switch the trigger wires for the two relays and things will work correctly (or alternatively, switch the outputs like you said...whichever is easier).

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
..no need to sacrifice a chicken...just chant ' if it seams too easy..it will be hard, or not work at all'..then do the job agian:):)......have you ever heard of the 'red green' show? good auto advice there:)..i love the advice on how to check the battery..' clean the termanls of the battery..lay your tounge across the termanls..check your watch.... if you wake up a hour later..batterys fine:):)

·
Super Moderator
10,174 Posts
"The blue "high beam" indicator shines when the low beam is on"

Sheesh, you're doing this the hard way! Since the indicator is not explicitly labeled as "High Beam", why not just redefine it as the "low beam indicator"?

·
Registered
170 Posts
It's a great idea, but here in the UK 'tis a legal requirement to have a main beam indicator. And also a fog light indicator - still doesn't stop idiots driving around with high and/or fog lights on when there is oncoming traffic though.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, now. I've made it street-legal in England, but it's still making me just a wee bit nutty. I swapped the signal wires coming from the switch to the relays. Now, when you push the lever down, the brights come on and when you push it up the dims come on. Just the opposite of the original configuration. BUT, when the lever is down and the brights come on, the blue indicator light does come on (thanks be). I know that this so simple that it plum evades me, and I can abide it with no heartache. But, out of just compulsiveness and curiosity, how in the he** did it get this way? Italian leprechauns? Are there Italian leprechauns? Is this the sort of thing they do? D.

·
Banned
129 Posts
Maybe I'm confused, but I'll be driving my '92 in about 20 minutes and then I'll know. But, IIRC, with the lever down the high beams are on, lever up and the low beams are on. If that's what you've got now, it's correct, as confirmed by the high beam indicator, whose wiring you haven't changed.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
I would guess that by the term "bug cookers" you got a set of H4 bulbs. I got a set of Hellas for my 740 Volvo that came with a jumper harness that switched the wires for you. I have never paid attention but the 9004 and the H-4 may have the connectors crossed.
Just a thought.

Paul

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep, they are H4 Hellas and you really can brown a moth to a crispy done-ness with them on high. If "down" really is supposed to be the high beam, then all is right with the world -- and no wires got juxtaposed by either me or the headlight maker. I was hoping for a leprechaun, though -- one with garlic breath. Merci, grazie, danke. Jeez, I love this board. D.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Up is low, down is high, pulling back is flash the passing (high beam) lights. (which should also cause the blue light to come on for as long as you hold back on the lever)

All is right with your world and no chickens had to suffer so you can drive to KFC with a clear concience. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts