Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That is the question... I have a 95-164Q. It's red and black interior. I'm thinking of painting it solid yellow, w black 18" wheels. Yet I'm reluctant. I have had 3 164's and they all have been red. I'd still use the factory yellow used on the 91 spider. Please advise...

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
Your car, do what you want. Methinks if I wanted a taxi, I'd buy a Crown Vic.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Looks like a good combo, how is your interior red/black? I like the yellow idea, but maybe jc is right, probably would look like a taxi a bit. I haven't seen a yellow 164 before.

·
Premium Member
9,820 Posts
That is the question... I have a 95-164Q. It's red and black interior. I'm thinking of painting it solid yellow, w black 18" wheels. Yet I'm reluctant. I have had 3 164's and they all have been red. I'd still use the factory yellow used on the 91 spider. Please advise...
The value of it would drop. I doubt you could resell if you wanted too. 18" wheels would be a nightmare to drive around on this car, being FWD and original wheels being 15" EURO 16" 17" would be better with a 225/45 tire. 18" would be hardly any rubber on the road and add tons more unsprung weight which would reduce performance but by the looks of if your going for looks only.
Subtle customization would be best. Maybe instead of yellow you repaint it in Stock red, it will look STELLAR with new red! I have done it with a customers 164S which the paint was fine but the sun made it almost slightly purple in hue, new paint was amazing in RED!! Repaint bumper system to stock color and finish which is eggshell, new wheels in 17, maybe suspension and exhaust. Thats what I would do. I think you will get more people looking at that than a yellow one with 18" wheels. I think the yellow will take away from the car a lot!!! But it is your car. Hope my advice helps any?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
98 Posts
Are you going for the whole exterior paint yellow with the black trim for your 164, like on the Dinan? I have nothing against the 18's except for the fact that your handling would drop as well as fuel economy.

I still think the car would look better in another color, but then again the choice is yours. My reason is because the 164 doesn't have the same look that the m3 has. It'll look like a taxi i'm tellin ya!

·
Premium Member
9,820 Posts
this is good advice guys, I did see a stock yellow LS on car domain.. But the pics arent enough to decide....

See here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/847637/1994-alfa-romeo-164

Yet Im going for this look here: Dakar Yellow Supercharged Dinan e36 m3 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Ive had 17 inch rims before and it seems that car is still a little big for 17's. like a piano on skinny legs... 18's cant be that bad can they...

164's never came in Yellow. 18" wheels have been done, even 19" but the ride quality will suffer, performance and handling will suffer, torque steer and tramlining will be enhanced. If all it is you want is looks, well then 18" will work, you need spacers and right offset. 235/35 tire....

Red is better looking to me. Especially new paint. You could even make the red less orangy than stock. Maybe more like ferrari Red. But the gloss paint does not do the bumper system justice. It shows all the imperfections in the plastic

·
Premium Member
16,447 Posts
Keep in mind that unless you strip the car entirely, the engine compartment and other areas will still be the original color, and this will degrade the value. In my mind, nothing worse. Also, yellow is a bright color, and the 164 may be a little big for that color, else you end up with something looking like a "Yellow Cab". Yellow works best on a small car, such as a roadster, etc.

My own feeling as well is that overly large "gangsta" wheels don't do the car justice. Also degrades the value, making it look akin to a pimp car. My own opinion of course.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Ok thanx again guys, I had a 164S, i had it painted all red, and had 17" i got from Re Originals...

see here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2119289/1991-alfa-romeo-164

I really liked it, I was just wanting something different, Not too far from original.. (even tho yellow is far.. ) but not for an Italian car....

@DEL, I really dont want the Gangsta look, Im trying to stay very tasteful... See my link when I had the S.

·
Registered
4,062 Posts
164s look horrid in yellow. I would stick with the original color so you don't have to paint door jambs, under-hood, etc. Going off the deep end with customizing will be like throwing money (and the car) down the drain. It will be very hard to resell it with the changes you are considering. Do what you want though, it's your car.
Charles

·
Premium Member
9,820 Posts
Ok thanx again guys, I had a 164S, i had it painted all red, and had 17" i got from Re Originals...

see here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2119289/1991-alfa-romeo-164

I really liked it, I was just wanting something different, Not too far from original.. (even tho yellow is far.. ) but not for an Italian car....

@DEL, I really dont want the Gangsta look, Im trying to stay very tasteful... See my link when I had the S.
Eric,
Car looks great! Leave it ALONE!!!!!! If anything just repaint the same color. My suggestion would be to paint the lower cladding like Q4's.

·
Registered
112 Posts
sneak peek

Why don't you photoshop it and see what the car would look like in yellow first?
Only a handful of cars look nice in yellow. Lambo's probably account for 95% fo them! I don't even like Ferrari's in yellow, they should be red

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I dont have photoshop... would you mind? take a pic of any 164S or Q off the web and see.. thanx....

·
Registered
123 Posts
That yellow car you show in the link above is FUGLY, IMO. I like my **** stock, but that's just me.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
LOL, You said FUGLY.... Okay, well that one is ugly... but what if it had the sporty panels like an S or Q?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A VIDEO OF A YELLOW!!! 164Q4. Not really convincing tho... Im kind of getting the point... Dont get me wrong, Im an Alfisti! I have had 5.. And Im honest to the history, and keeping the character of the brand etc... Im just probing

·
Registered
573 Posts
Reminded me of a guy in town that has a 156 painted in that DuPont paint that changes colors as the reflection angle changes. It's in light blue.

Let me think of things that are yellow: bananas, mustard, drinking straws, pineapple slices.

Now what does red make you think of? Red lace lingerie comes to mind. Got the point?

·
Registered
107 Posts
164's never came in Yellow. 18" wheels have been done, even 19" but the ride quality will suffer, performance and handling will suffer, torque steer and tramlining will be enhanced. If all it is you want is looks, well then 18" will work, you need spacers and right offset. 235/35 tire....

Not really true, the 164 Actually rides very well with a decent set of 18" or 19" wheels. I have had OZ Superleggera's in 18" and now Ultraleggera's in 19" on my 164, and it handles better than the oem 16" wheel/tire combo.

Due to the low weight, handling, acceleration, braking, etc. is actually better. And they will allow you to mount Big brakes.

Ride quality is not as smooth as the oem 16"'s but even with lowering + koni
s it is very acceptable. Its far more comfortable than my bone stock 156 GTA.

Much comes down to the weight of the wheel/tire combination, so keep that in mind when choosing wheels.

19" looks like this

1 - 20 of 45 Posts