Alfa Romeo Forums banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
For folks who have already Installed these on motors can you respond with your setup?

For example:
2000, 40 DCOE
1600, 45 DCOE

I ask because there are a few spacing issues with 48 DCOEs and 101 series 1300s. I want to figure this out.

Also if you have asked to be on the "list" and are running 48 DCOEs or a 101 series 1300 let me know, we may have to figure out the correct spacing.

Thanks,
Alex

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Just got my Throttle Return Spring Bracket. Thanks Alex! You guys are in for a treat, well made and beautiful. I'm sure you guys are going to like them!
DJ

·
Super Moderator
11,663 Posts
Here is a bit more from your Webers perspective. Two things can happen. With new Spanish Webers, the tiny green seals under the bearings can get gummy, so butterfly plates do not return to closed correctly. This bracket and spring helps that. However if they are sticky in operation after rebuild, either plates are incorrectly set or butterfly bars bent or some other mechanical issue that should be corrected to prevent damage to plates, or Weber body.
In racing, stiff Weber butterfly return springs are most commonly used. Stressed in racing, they also are easily broken. Nether tech inspectors or drivers like that! I keep one of these in my shop for race customers that HAVE broken a spring, of fear they might. This is INSURANCE like a belt and suspenders (braces U.K.).
These are unnecessary on street cars with the long "screen door spring" on the bellcrank as that spring will close plates with broken Weber return springs 100%. However, not all street cars used this set-up, and this bracket offers security for that street application. For race applications, it's use is a good idea.
For STICKY plate return Webers, it is NOT a good idea as the cause should be investigated and corrected.
This is my opinion from my own experiences over many years.

Reactions: deepblue

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Well said Gordon. These should not be used to mask other problems, especially sticky or binding plates.

I made these originally to provide extra redundancy. I used to autocross very actively before my son was born and I have had a throttle stick open during an event. It is a very scary experience.

As I said back in 2016 when I when I first made these... "This is most certainly not a necessary modification for a well serviced, street driven Alfa; but it does give me some piece of mind and and I think it looks pretty cool."

Alex

·
Super Moderator
11,663 Posts
It IS an excellent engine accessory, and in Alfa racing, Tech inspectors LIKE it. This is not just my opinion. If readers are thinking about buying one of these, buy it! Last time I needed one Alex had to send one of his own!

Reactions: axlejor

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Update,

If you have not heard from me about payment and shipping let me know. I think I have contacted everyone who has expressed interest. As far as my notes are concerned I am all caught up and all parts are delivered or in the mail (or will be this week). I believe I have about 7 or 8 left as of 6/7/2020.

Thanks for all of your interest!

Alex

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Just received mine. Excellent build quality and easy to install instructions. Missing the light pedal response when heel-toeing, but I'm sure I'll adjust to the new force required. Thanks again, @axlejor

61 - 71 of 71 Posts