Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys - looking for some thoughts on going with seat foams and new pattern seats from International or similar vs having a local shop custom make the seats. In SoCal where I am there are lots of shops that do this but wanted to ask what I should budget on quality foams and new covers. Any specific supplier recommended that provides a good kit? Any fit or quality considerations?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
I used World Upholstery kits when I did mine. Back then there weren't any new seat cushions available so I got some decent replacements from a salvage yard. The leather kit from World wasn't exactly cheap, I think it was about $800 and that was back in the late 90's. I think vinyl is about half the price of leather. They also are not what I'd call "slip-on" there's a bit of work involved in getting them stretched and situated to look good.

A good custom shop can probably fabricate just about anything you want but I would expect it to cost a bit more because you're going to be paying for all of the labor on top of the materials. The only way to answer your question is to actually go out and get some estimates and compare them with the online prices for the kits. To do it yourself you'll also need a few things like hog-ring pliers and o-rings of an appropriate size to secure the piping rods.

·
Premium Member
4,762 Posts
I've the luxury of having done this a few times. On an older Spider I used a cover kit from IAP and was quite impressed. Did it myself on good bases. Being in SoCal you might give thought to heading south. I had some seats made for a boat and the job was done quickly and the qualty was top notch. Given, this was years ago but the price was stoopidly low. If memory serves, I took them some older wire type frames, an idea of what I wanted and they were done in a week or so. One oddity was they weighed me so the really old dude could get an idea of the density of the foam to use.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Vick's Upholstery in LA did both my Grad and my Quad seats in exchange for designing patterns. The finished product they delivered was top notch.(These are finished seats, not slip on covers). I don't know what they charge but at least they are local and proven. Look them up or I can give you their contact info.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Antony

·
Premium Member
22,379 Posts
Pre-made kits often do not fit very well. Seats all wear differently, especially after 30-40 years, have been restuffed, etc., and are no longer one-size-fits-all. I would only go with a known-good upholsterer. It's possible to find reasonable prices, and firsthand recommendations (as above) are the best bet.
Andrew

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys -appreciate the info.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts